February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- DCI-Palestine mourns the loss of Hashem Abu Maria, colleague and friend, killed by Israeli forces | Defence for Children International Palestine
- Islamic State claims ambush and killing of at least 50 Syrian soldiers near northern city of Raqqa – ABC News Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Article: Ukraine – MH17 like Shoot Down Predicted a Month Ago plus Russian Defense Chief in English | OpEdNews
- Gaza: a war for oil? | World War 4 Report
- New cartoons & graphic from Malcolm Evans
- Iraqi Christians flee Mosul after ISIS Islamists demand conversion or protection tax | End the Lie – Independe... ow.ly/2KJ4w2 3 hours ago
- "These sites are not only for Shiite Muslims or non-Muslims. Most of them are sacred places for Sunni..." ow.ly/2KJ3l6 3 hours ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/zBrJW 4 hours ago
- "These sites are not only for Shiite Muslims or non-Muslims. Most of them are sacred places for Sunni..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MWDmfw 4 hours ago
- The Mismeasures of Radical #Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on #African #Fascism ow.ly/zBq5P / ow.ly/zBq7W #AntiFa 5 hours ago