February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Seattle Cop Defends Killer of Michael Brown, Accuses Obama of Racism | Slog
- Many in Iran believe that the US invented Islamic State to counter Iran’s influence
- A list of unarmed Blacks killed by police
- Tennessee Pastor Robert Gallaty Suggests Gays ‘Must be Put to Death’ or Remain Celebate
- Roma in poorer health condition than average: report | EurActiv
- "Any historical appraisal of the eugenics movement needs to step carefully to avoid imposing the..." ow.ly/2NqRRr 3 days ago
- "Any historical appraisal of the eugenics movement needs to step carefully to avoid imposing the values..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1QhAnie 3 days ago
- "Eugenicists believed genetics were the cause of problems for the human gene pool. Eugenics stated that..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Qh8ee3 3 days ago
- Obama Administration Says U.S. Is 'At War' With ISIS - NBC News.com ow.ly/Bs83V 3 days ago
- "In May 2012 five antifascists were arrested and, in early 2013, took non-cooperating plea deals for..." ow.ly/2Nqdqk 3 days ago