In a surprise move, Bolivian President Evo Morales announced April 10 he is rescinding the contract of the Brazilian firm OAS to build a controversial highway through the Amazon rainforest. Morales had already suspended the most contentious section, which was to pass through the Isiboro Sécure National Park Indigenous Territory TIPNIS—which was the subject of rival indigenous marches on La Paz for and against its construction. Now he is said he will annul the contract to build the remaining sections of the road that would link Villa Tunari in Cochabamba department with San Ignacio de Moxos in the rainforest department of Beni. Morales told a press conference in La Paz that the company had violated terms of the contract, charging, “OAS suspended construction in these sections without justification or authorization.” Morales did not say if the road project would ultimately resume, or if OAS would be compensated. MercoPress, April 11
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pro-Palestinian campaigners hang banner from Westminster Bridge calling for end to Israel arms sales – London – News – London Evening Standard
- Mongolian PM’s senior advisor arrested by anti-corruption agency — China Development Gateway — Sharing Information, Knowledge and Tools
- Atlanta’s Emory University Hospital to receive patient infected with Ebola | Society | theguardian.com
- Elsipogtog man says RCMP officers visited home with questions about Facebook comment » APTN National News
- The Mismeasurez of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughtz on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives
- Neo-Nazis Travelling to Ukraine to Fight Against “Separatists” and Establish a “Fascist Dictatorship... ow.ly/2L2E6k 20 minutes ago
- The fight for the Basque - aljazeera.net ow.ly/2L2E6j 20 minutes ago
- #EbolaWatch: #Africa -- Julio 31, 2014 - RT Novaĵoj ow.ly/2L2qIL 2 hours ago
- "The international body also expressed “grave disappointment” that its previous calls for a truce..." ow.ly/2L2oTx 2 hours ago
- "The international body also expressed “grave disappointment” that its previous calls for a truce have..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N2no2J 2 hours ago