In a surprise move, Bolivian President Evo Morales announced April 10 he is rescinding the contract of the Brazilian firm OAS to build a controversial highway through the Amazon rainforest. Morales had already suspended the most contentious section, which was to pass through the Isiboro Sécure National Park Indigenous Territory TIPNIS—which was the subject of rival indigenous marches on La Paz for and against its construction. Now he is said he will annul the contract to build the remaining sections of the road that would link Villa Tunari in Cochabamba department with San Ignacio de Moxos in the rainforest department of Beni. Morales told a press conference in La Paz that the company had violated terms of the contract, charging, “OAS suspended construction in these sections without justification or authorization.” Morales did not say if the road project would ultimately resume, or if OAS would be compensated. MercoPress, April 11
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Snowden: If you live in New Zealand, you’re being watched — RT News
- Alan Henning: British Muslim leaders unite to urge Isis to release UK hostage – Home News – UK – The Independent
- Ukraine Chief To Meet Obama, Biden, Kerry; Address Atlantic Council
- U.S. Congress Mulls $350 Million In Military Aid To Ukraine
- Neo-Nazi Vandalism in Sderot
- PressTV - Obama opposed to Scotland independence - PressTV - Obama opposed to Scotland independence - US... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R70iJW 15 minutes ago
- Photo: endtheterrorwar: cartoonpolitics: “If you were a U.S. leader, or an official of the National... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R6_iyk 22 minutes ago
- Photo: euthanizeallwhitepeople: allthecanadianpolitics: Tory staffer fired after supporting inquiry into... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R6_fgQ 22 minutes ago
- bellecosby: blackgirlsparadise: liftedmike: sancophaleague: ... ow.ly/2NJJh2 37 minutes ago
- Photo: bellecosby: blackgirlsparadise: liftedmike: sancophaleague: The 16-year-old Jasmine Thar was shot... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R6ryyQ 56 minutes ago