Peru’s government is ignoring new UN guidelines on the protection of isolated indigenous peoples in the Amazon, Survival International charged last week. The landmark February report by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, “Norms for Protection of Indigenous Peoples in Isolation and Initial Contact of the Amazon Region, Gran Chaco and Oriental Region of Paraguay” PDF, in Spanish, makes clear that the lands of isolated tribes should be untouchable, and that “no rights should be granted that involve the use of natural resources.” However, Peru is allowing the country’s largest gas project to expand further into indigenous territories known to house numerous uncontacted Indians. The expansion plan adds to existing controversies around Argentine gas giant Pluspetrol and its notorious Camisea project in southeast Peru.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Are ‘Blackwater’ now active in Ukraine? Videos spark talk that U.S. mercenary outfit has been deployed to Donetsk | Mail Online
- “Democratization” and Anti-Semitism in #Ukraine: When Neo-Nazi Symbols become “The New Normal” | Global Research
- Purple Rain blog: Senior Ukip members ‘backed pact with BNP’
- Media freedom under siege in #Crimea, #Ukraine, says OSCE representative – Representative on Freedom of the Media
- MACHETERO History Lesson
- Injuries And Mass Homelessness After Fire In Dar Paing ~ Rohingya Blogger ow.ly/2ExKz7 2 hours ago
- Petition | I strongly oppose the use of native imagery and racial slurs as team mascots and nicknames. These displ... ow.ly/2ExKz8 2 hours ago
- "RB News March 4, 2014 Chittagong, Bangladesh - 17 year old Samjidah, is a Rohingya girl living in Kutu..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19cZryI 2 hours ago
- RT @KColemanQNET: My blog post on the #Tyendinaga blockade was featured on @AboriginalPress today. Neat! aboriginalpress.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/tye… 2 hours ago
- "Today is International Women’s Day, and most garment workers are women,” Rainsy said. “They demand a.... ow.ly/2ExxsW 5 hours ago