Peru’s government is ignoring new UN guidelines on the protection of isolated indigenous peoples in the Amazon, Survival International charged last week. The landmark February report by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, “Norms for Protection of Indigenous Peoples in Isolation and Initial Contact of the Amazon Region, Gran Chaco and Oriental Region of Paraguay” PDF, in Spanish, makes clear that the lands of isolated tribes should be untouchable, and that “no rights should be granted that involve the use of natural resources.” However, Peru is allowing the country’s largest gas project to expand further into indigenous territories known to house numerous uncontacted Indians. The expansion plan adds to existing controversies around Argentine gas giant Pluspetrol and its notorious Camisea project in southeast Peru.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- DCI-Palestine mourns the loss of Hashem Abu Maria, colleague and friend, killed by Israeli forces | Defence for Children International Palestine
- Islamic State claims ambush and killing of at least 50 Syrian soldiers near northern city of Raqqa – ABC News Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Article: Ukraine – MH17 like Shoot Down Predicted a Month Ago plus Russian Defense Chief in English | OpEdNews
- Gaza: a war for oil? | World War 4 Report
- New cartoons & graphic from Malcolm Evans
- Iraqi Christians flee Mosul after ISIS Islamists demand conversion or protection tax | End the Lie – Independe... ow.ly/2KJ4w2 7 hours ago
- "These sites are not only for Shiite Muslims or non-Muslims. Most of them are sacred places for Sunni..." ow.ly/2KJ3l6 7 hours ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/zBrJW 8 hours ago
- "These sites are not only for Shiite Muslims or non-Muslims. Most of them are sacred places for Sunni..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MWDmfw 8 hours ago
- The Mismeasures of Radical #Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on #African #Fascism ow.ly/zBq5P / ow.ly/zBq7W #AntiFa 9 hours ago