Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- #GazaUnderAttack | July 30, 2014 | Israel’s Genocide: 1324 Palestinians Killed – In Photos
- Lavon Affair
- Justice Department orders secrecy for files of anti-Iran advocacy group – Boing Boing
- Germany Will Ban Tech Companies That Play Ball With NSA – No federal contracts will go to companies that turn over data to the NSA or other agencies. There may, however, be one crucial exemption ~ News Forage
- Federal review stalled after finding forensic errors by FBI lab unit spanned two decades – The Washington Post
- Bolivia Government Officially Lists The State of Israel As a Terrorist Nation | APNS Novaĵagentejo ow.ly/zM2CT 53 minutes ago
- "En France, un premier ministre bien à droite d’une certaine pseudo gauche, par ailleurs ancien..." ow.ly/2KXKcj 3 hours ago
- "En France, un premier ministre bien à droite d’une certaine pseudo gauche, par ailleurs ancien..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MxZ4rJ 3 hours ago
- Old Time Farm Crime: The Banana Massacre - Modern Farmer ow.ly/2KX986 6 hours ago
- Israel/Gaza: Attack on UN school in Gaza a potential war crime that must be investigated | Amnesty International ow.ly/2KX982 6 hours ago