Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- How the US Turned Three Pacifists Into ‘Multiple Felony Saboteurs’ | Alternet
- Rush Limbaugh Opens 2012 With More Race-Baiting Attacks | Research | Media Matters for America
- US government targeted Fox News reporter as ‘co-conspirator’ in spying case | World news | guardian.co.uk
- Is Nestle Involved in Murder Of Columbian Union Leader? | Alternet
- Pacific Politics » Political news and analysis brought to you by the Pacific Institute of Public Policy » The long walk to freedom
- "This trade route was already very active a very long time ago, and this may [be] evidence of that..." ow.ly/2x21xI 3 hours ago
- "The sensational claims are due to be made to Justice Peter Smithwick’s Dublin tribunal of inquiry into..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlUHi96 3 hours ago
- Guatemala Court Annuls Rios Montt Genocide Conviction - Dem Underground | APNS Int. - Guatemala Court Annuls... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlUHQ5t 3 hours ago
- "This trade route was already very active a very long time ago, and this may [be] evidence of that early..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlSVqu4 10 hours ago
- "The tour guide warned of the dangers of going to a park in the Bronx, and also gave inaccurate..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlSI2vu 11 hours ago