Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pentagon Funds Tools to Track and Kill Activists
- AdDetector will make sure you never mistake a sponsored story for a real one | The Verge
- Local police involved in 400 killings per year
- U.S.: Dearborn cleric popular with ISIS fighters owes $250K for fraud | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
- California highway patrol officer under investigation for beating mentally ill woman — Society’s Child — Sott.net
- 469 Gaza children killed, over 370,000 need ‘psychosocial aid’ – UNICEF — RT News ow.ly/2Mc8K3 43 minutes ago
- "NYPD cops beat a man Wednesday night during a solidarity protest for Michael Brown, a video shows,..." ow.ly/2Mc7Mg 46 minutes ago
- "NYPD cops beat a man Wednesday night during a solidarity protest for Michael Brown, a video shows,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OuIPB9 1 hour ago
- 'This is the Story of Power in this Country': Ferguson, Institutionalized Racism and the Militarization of Police ... ow.ly/2Mb8qU 7 hours ago
- Union fights Israel ‘security risk’ claims to ban Palestinian union activists from West Bank workplaces ow.ly/2Mb8qT 7 hours ago