Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Victims Become Victimisers: Zionisms Angry Xenophobic War Against Itself & the Rest of the World ow.ly/BJn9f #HumanRights 39 minutes ago
- America Needs Social Justice Not 'Soul Searching' ow.ly/BJn2v #Trayvon #Racism #RacialProfiling #Every28Hours #BlackPrivilege 42 minutes ago
- Aboriginal women, girls targets for human trafficking, says new report - Aboriginal - CBC ow.ly/2NQG0k 1 hour ago
- Article: Russia's Leader Putin Rejects Ukrainian Separatists' Aim to Become Part of Russia | OpEdNews ow.ly/2NQFfC 1 hour ago
- Article: Russia's Leader Putin Rejects Ukrainian Separatists' Aim to Become Part of Russia | OpEdNews -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1RI5-5S 2 hours ago