Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pennsylvania Trooper Who Kicked in Handcuffed Man’s Teeth Didn’t Use Excessive Force, Jury Finds
- Radio-controlled helicopter had ‘serious risk of collision’ with jetliner at YVR
- ‘Environmental Injustice’: Minorities Face Nearly 40% More Exposure to Toxic Air Pollution | Common Dreams
- LISTEN: Alleged Kansas Gunman Frazier Glenn Miller Discusses the Tea Party, Obama, and Ron Paul | Mother Jones
- Report indicates that US aligned regimes are preparing for war — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- thenationmagazine: Fuck Earth Day. No, really.@Fuck Earth Day.... ow.ly/2FVXAr 1 day ago
- #IdleNoMore ! #VAWA Mohawks begin direct action to force missing, murdered inquiry ow.ly/2FVRP4 1 day ago
- Arizona tribe set to prosecute first non-Indian under a new law - The Washington Post ow.ly/2FVVgI 1 day ago
- Kanehsatake: Mohawk Warriors face Canadian-style colonialism | Colours of Resistance Archive ow.ly/2FVVgJ 1 day ago
- MoveOn Petitions - Support Winnemem Cultural Survival - Tell Congress "No" to the Shasta Dam raise. ow.ly/2FVVgK 1 day ago