Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- California prison system agrees to end racial segregation — RT USA
- US decides against military tribunals for non-Guantánamo detainees | US news | theguardian.com
- TASS: World – WHO “reasonably confident” Ebola has not spread beyond West Africa
- Michael Brown smeared in United States media
- Lonko Juana Cuante de visita en Europa
- Australia: Aboriginal man dies in Casuarina Prison as hundreds rally around WA to protest deaths in custody | Warr... ow.ly/2PAa8w 11 hours ago
- "All Christians and people of good will are thus called today to struggle not only for abolition of..." ow.ly/2PA6nW 11 hours ago
- "All Christians and people of good will are thus called today to struggle not only for abolition of the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TtPTBI 11 hours ago
- Confirmed: 39 women illegally sterilized in California prisons — RT USA ow.ly/DfIMR #Genocide #HumanRights 12 hours ago
- TASS: World - Dozens of Poles protest in Warsaw against glorification of fascism in Ukraine ow.ly/2PzUea 12 hours ago