I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–“Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- ""This parade through the mainly nationalist village of Rasharkin breached Parades Commission rulings..." ow.ly/2MeTYI 1 hour ago
- "Other Palestinians, including a doctor, even offered advice via Twitter to the protesters in Ferguson..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OxkkJu 1 hour ago
- ""This parade through the mainly nationalist village of Rasharkin breached Parades Commission rulings..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OxhTxj 1 hour ago
- Call For Independent Inquiry of the Airplane Crash in Ukraine and its Catastrophic Aftermath | RootsAction ow.ly/2MdRTp 7 hours ago
- An open letter for the people in Gaza : The Lancet ow.ly/2MdEZ6 8 hours ago