I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–“Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- "In 1982, Rand died of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit. Although not exactly popular..." ow.ly/2NG5cJ 14 hours ago
- "In 1982, Rand died of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit. Although not exactly popular..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R3UEWi 15 hours ago
- Justice for the Rotherham abuse victims – don’t let the racists divide us! - Searchlight Magazine ow.ly/2NFA4X 16 hours ago
- Obama Declares Perpetual War - Obama Declares Perpetual War: c4ss: President Barac... ow.ly/2NFyIr 16 hours ago
- Indiĝenaj Inteligenteco: A Fourth World Intelligence Newsblog ow.ly/BCCTz 17 hours ago