I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–”Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- US Training of Mexican Troops Has Escalated in Step With Mexico’s Murder Rate | the narcosphere
- The Republican Quest to Privatize All Government Has Jeopardized National Security
- FBI: Government has used surveillance drones in the U.S.
- Corrupt politicians must pay for their sins – Rawlings – Vanguard News
- From Cointel-Pro to Gang Injunctions to PRISM & Privatization our HKR Intv w/ Kali Akuno
- Be Vigilant for Lynne Stewart – As She Was For All of Us | Black Agenda Report ow.ly/2xJjBc 10 hours ago
- Brazil rage spills onto the streets: LIVE UPDATES — RT News ow.ly/2xJ6Pi 12 hours ago
- Be Vigilant for Lynne Stewart – As She Was For All of Us | Black Agenda Report - There is a vigil underway... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkSkqF 13 hours ago
- "Violent clashes have erupted in the northern city of Fortaleza in the hours leading to a Confederations..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkSUrE 13 hours ago
- "Between 2008 and the summer of 2011 when he left his post as grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkQVOb 13 hours ago