You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Seattle Cop Defends Killer of Michael Brown, Accuses Obama of Racism | Slog
- Many in Iran believe that the US invented Islamic State to counter Iran’s influence
- A list of unarmed Blacks killed by police
- Tennessee Pastor Robert Gallaty Suggests Gays ‘Must be Put to Death’ or Remain Celebate
- Roma in poorer health condition than average: report | EurActiv
- �El Ku Klux Klan en Altamira? | La Radio del Sur ow.ly/2NAayq 1 hour ago
- Kerry Drake: Death penalty opponents are making gains in Wyoming ow.ly/2NAayp 1 hour ago
- ISIS burns Syrian cannabis fields | World War 4 Report ow.ly/2NAayo 1 hour ago
- "Though a ceasefire hangs over Israel and Gaza today, the open wounds from 50 days of conflict remain..." ow.ly/2NA8eH 1 hour ago
- "Though a ceasefire hangs over Israel and Gaza today, the open wounds from 50 days of conflict remain..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1QyfmNJ 1 hour ago