You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pennsylvania Trooper Who Kicked in Handcuffed Man’s Teeth Didn’t Use Excessive Force, Jury Finds
- Radio-controlled helicopter had ‘serious risk of collision’ with jetliner at YVR
- ‘Environmental Injustice’: Minorities Face Nearly 40% More Exposure to Toxic Air Pollution | Common Dreams
- LISTEN: Alleged Kansas Gunman Frazier Glenn Miller Discusses the Tea Party, Obama, and Ron Paul | Mother Jones
- Report indicates that US aligned regimes are preparing for war — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- thenationmagazine: Fuck Earth Day. No, really.@Fuck Earth Day.... ow.ly/2FVXAr 4 hours ago
- #IdleNoMore ! #VAWA Mohawks begin direct action to force missing, murdered inquiry ow.ly/2FVRP4 5 hours ago
- Arizona tribe set to prosecute first non-Indian under a new law - The Washington Post ow.ly/2FVVgI 5 hours ago
- Kanehsatake: Mohawk Warriors face Canadian-style colonialism | Colours of Resistance Archive ow.ly/2FVVgJ 5 hours ago
- MoveOn Petitions - Support Winnemem Cultural Survival - Tell Congress "No" to the Shasta Dam raise. ow.ly/2FVVgK 5 hours ago