Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- “Democratization” and Anti-Semitism in #Ukraine: When Neo-Nazi Symbols become “The New Normal” | Global Research
- Purple Rain blog: Senior Ukip members ‘backed pact with BNP’
- Media freedom under siege in #Crimea, #Ukraine, says OSCE representative – Representative on Freedom of the Media
- MACHETERO History Lesson
- Finian Cunningham – Western Media Go to War over Ukraine – Strategic Culture Foundation – on-line journal > Western Media Go to War over Ukraine > m.strategic-culture.org – Strategic Culture Foundation
- "Today is International Women’s Day, and most garment workers are women,” Rainsy said. “They demand a.... ow.ly/2ExxsW 1 hour ago
- Mohawks end CN Rail standoff after release of Cheyenne Fox's father, vow 'until the next time' | APTN National New... ow.ly/2Exz4p 2 hours ago
- 'Of Caucasians, Christians & Desperate White Men' ~ ow.ly/unZV6 / ow.ly/unZV7 #Fascism #Xenophobia #Religion 2 hours ago
- HEIDEGGER'S CHILDREN: The Strange Rebirth of Anglo-Christian Extremism In The West ow.ly/unZRf #Fascism #FarRight 2 hours ago
- "Today is International Women’s Day, and most garment workers are women,” Rainsy said. “They demand a..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19bA8gu 2 hours ago