Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- VIDEO Ucrania y Venezuela campañita publicitaria idéntica del imperio con el mismo propósito
- US, Europe step up pressure as Ukrainian crisis intensifies – World Socialist Web Site
- ‘Gladiator School’: FBI Investigatez Idaho Private Prison for Abuse
- Whitewashed, Unmasking the World of Whiteness – YouTube
- pepe does his live thing
- Going To Extremes Role of far right in Ukraine upheaval stokes... ow.ly/2Ez8S0 6 hours ago
- Video: Going To Extremes Role of far right in Ukraine upheaval stokes neo Nazism rise fears (by RT’) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19jIH9h 7 hours ago
- Video: Breivik trial video: ‘Norway killer’ claims self-defense, cries in court (by RT) — Anders Behring... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19jGsSm 7 hours ago
- Photo: tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19jEkEq 8 hours ago
- Photo: tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19jEeuV 8 hours ago