Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- The Bay Area Has a Values Problem | Raising the Bar | Jay Youngdahl | East Bay Express
- NSA uses Google cookies to pinpoint targets for hacking
- Protest Planned Over Mandatory Vaccine Requirement in New York | Politicker
- How NSA Mass Surveillance is Hurting the US Economy | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- How the FBI Conspired to Destroy the Black Panther Party – In These Times
- "The darker your complexion, the more they hate you..even ones of your own race with a lighter..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10uIWmS 16 minutes ago
- Why I'm NOT Here For Your Fascination: White Men and Their Fascination With Black Women - locsofpoetry: I’m... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10uGIdq 23 minutes ago
- Photo: prayxplot: Found a huge poster in my downstairs closet depicting the inventions of black... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10uBeFA 37 minutes ago
- "The U.S. Department of Education: the national college graduation rate for Black men is 33.1 percent..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10uAlwd 40 minutes ago
- Photo: socimages: Race, criminal background, and employment. What hurts your job prospects more: being... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10uASg- 41 minutes ago