Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- British Isis militant in James Foley video ‘guards foreign hostages in Syria’ | World news | theguardian.com
- KKK plans to employ US troops in training for upcoming race war VIDEO — RT USA
- DoD: Military Equipment Helps Local Police Do Their Job
- Saginaw sheriff dumping military vehicle made fun of by HBO comedy show | MLive.com
- President Obama sending AG Holder to Ferguson, Remarks on Ferguson Today
- "Let’s get this right. Michael Brown is disrespectfully ordered to “get out of the street” and was..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1On7xeU 30 minutes ago
- "So what is the government taking action on? As Mr. MacKay stated in his response to Tina’s death, the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1On0vcr 54 minutes ago
- #Ferguson ... ow.ly/AxZjf 1 hour ago
- "“If you look at the military equipment that the Israelis used, including the American F-16s, which..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Om_P_2 1 hour ago
- When Victims Become Victimisers: Zionism’s Angry Xenophobic War Against Itself and the Rest of the World eBook (PDF) ow.ly/AxYbL 1 hour ago