Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Despite Repeated Denials, San Jose Police Definitely Have a Drone | Motherboard
- Israel Using U.S. Weapons to Kill in Gaza | Accuracy.Org
- Islamic State evicts Iraq farmers – Middle East – Al Jazeera English
- War and Natural Gas: The Israeli Invasion and Gaza’s Offshore Gas Fields | Global Research
- Shane Elson: Gaza, Gas and War
- "The Times story even notes: “As part of the propaganda push, the military has also invited a..." ow.ly/2KUCJu 1 hour ago
- Why is the African community allowing a few Black radicals to escort RWNJ Ammosexuals through a Black area in Texas? ow.ly/zJxXK 2 hours ago
- "The Times story even notes: “As part of the propaganda push, the military has also invited a few..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Mts2r9 2 hours ago
- Libye: le gigantesque incendie à Tripoli toujours pas maîtrisé - afrique - RFI ow.ly/2KUiKv 4 hours ago
- "Israel’s ongoing onslaught in Gaza, which has killed more than 1,200 Palestinians since 7 July,..." ow.ly/2KUa4C 5 hours ago