In the United Kingdom, the latest figures on communications surveillance were published last week. They showed that in 2011, 494,078 requests for communications data were made by authorities. Communications data include IP addresses, the date and time a communication was sent, and location information—but not the actual content of a call, text, or email. Still high at about 1,300 per day and almost one per minute, the 494,078 requests in fact represented a decline of 11 percent from the previous year. In direct contrast, perhaps due to the security effort around the upcoming London Olympics, the United Kingdom witnessed a steep rise in warrants authorizing the interception of communications content. 2,911 interception requests were granted—a 73 percent increase on 2010’s reported 1,682.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- How the US Turned Three Pacifists Into ‘Multiple Felony Saboteurs’ | Alternet
- Rush Limbaugh Opens 2012 With More Race-Baiting Attacks | Research | Media Matters for America
- US government targeted Fox News reporter as ‘co-conspirator’ in spying case | World news | guardian.co.uk
- Is Nestle Involved in Murder Of Columbian Union Leader? | Alternet
- Pacific Politics » Political news and analysis brought to you by the Pacific Institute of Public Policy » The long walk to freedom
- "The sensational claims are due to be made to Justice Peter Smithwick’s Dublin tribunal of inquiry..." ow.ly/2x2lb2 2 hours ago
- Guatemala Court Annuls Rios Montt Genocide Conviction - Democratic Underground ow.ly/2x285O 5 hours ago
- "This trade route was already very active a very long time ago, and this may [be] evidence of that..." ow.ly/2x21xI 6 hours ago
- "The sensational claims are due to be made to Justice Peter Smithwick’s Dublin tribunal of inquiry into..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlUHi96 6 hours ago
- Guatemala Court Annuls Rios Montt Genocide Conviction - Dem Underground | APNS Int. - Guatemala Court Annuls... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlUHQ5t 6 hours ago