In the United Kingdom, the latest figures on communications surveillance were published last week. They showed that in 2011, 494,078 requests for communications data were made by authorities. Communications data include IP addresses, the date and time a communication was sent, and location information—but not the actual content of a call, text, or email. Still high at about 1,300 per day and almost one per minute, the 494,078 requests in fact represented a decline of 11 percent from the previous year. In direct contrast, perhaps due to the security effort around the upcoming London Olympics, the United Kingdom witnessed a steep rise in warrants authorizing the interception of communications content. 2,911 interception requests were granted—a 73 percent increase on 2010’s reported 1,682.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- AdDetector will make sure you never mistake a sponsored story for a real one | The Verge
- Local police involved in 400 killings per year
- U.S.: Dearborn cleric popular with ISIS fighters owes $250K for fraud | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
- California highway patrol officer under investigation for beating mentally ill woman — Society’s Child — Sott.net
- PressTV – Black population under attack by US system: Analyst
- Missouri KKK Chapter Planning Fundraiser for Darren Wilson | EURweb ow.ly/2MasE7 1 hour ago
- UK Neo-Nazi Darren Clifft Arrested after KKK-Style Mock Hanging at Rally ow.ly/2MasE5 1 hour ago
- Ferguson: No Justice In The American Police State By Paul Craig Roberts ow.ly/2MasE0 1 hour ago
- (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) - (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) ow.ly/2Mapxx 1 hour ago
- Photo: (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OrSLsY 1 hour ago