Throughout the early part of the twentieth century, African-American activists fought to thwart the systemic scourge of lynching. Faced with a silent and complicit populace, particularly the media and political establishment, African Americans forced the nation to bare witness to the depravity of American racism. Between 1882 and 1968, close to 5,000 lynchings (73% of the victims were black) took place on American soil, and that is of course an estimate that does not account for the countless unknown souls who lost their lives at the hands of White supremacy. According to Richard Perloff, racial lynchings had become commonplace in part of because of the media’s failures to bring the injustice into light. He quotes a white resident of Emelle Alabama, who questioned a reporter’s inquiry into the killing of an African American: “A few White residents who had been on hand when the men were killed refused to talk about the events to reporters from The Tuscaloosa News. “What the hell are you newspaper men doing here?” asked a White man who had been part of the vigilante group. ‘We’re just killing a few negroes that we’ve waited too damn long about leaving for the buzzards. That’s not news'” (Raper, 1933, p. 67). The silence from the mainstream media about blacks victims burned to death, hung, and dismembered, embodied the normalization of white supremacist violence.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Android security mystery – ‘fake’ cellphone towers found in U.S.
- Jennifer Lawrence, other celebs’ pictures leaked: FBI addressing the matter – CBS News
- More police departments considering the use of drones – baltimoresun.com
- How the US’s terrorism watchlists work – and how you could end up on one | World news | theguardian.com
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- Right Sector’s Borislav Bereza Visits San Francisco | Bay Area Antifa ow.ly/2MOwsh 1 hour ago
- "Studying the women’s situation in Syria, whether now or before the outbreak of revolution,..." ow.ly/2MOus4 1 hour ago
- "An estimated 14’000 came out in Stockholm to protest against the Neo-Nazi group Svenskarnas Parti..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PsLMoC 1 hour ago
- "Studying the women’s situation in Syria, whether now or before the outbreak of revolution, without..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PsHlkn 1 hour ago
- "All the retreats so far are part of a planned strategy – the only one that can bring the needed..." ow.ly/2MNsrD 6 hours ago