Throughout the early part of the twentieth century, African-American activists fought to thwart the systemic scourge of lynching. Faced with a silent and complicit populace, particularly the media and political establishment, African Americans forced the nation to bare witness to the depravity of American racism. Between 1882 and 1968, close to 5,000 lynchings (73% of the victims were black) took place on American soil, and that is of course an estimate that does not account for the countless unknown souls who lost their lives at the hands of White supremacy. According to Richard Perloff, racial lynchings had become commonplace in part of because of the media’s failures to bring the injustice into light. He quotes a white resident of Emelle Alabama, who questioned a reporter’s inquiry into the killing of an African American: “A few White residents who had been on hand when the men were killed refused to talk about the events to reporters from The Tuscaloosa News. “What the hell are you newspaper men doing here?” asked a White man who had been part of the vigilante group. ‘We’re just killing a few negroes that we’ve waited too damn long about leaving for the buzzards. That’s not news'” (Raper, 1933, p. 67). The silence from the mainstream media about blacks victims burned to death, hung, and dismembered, embodied the normalization of white supremacist violence.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Chinese hackers obtained info on Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system – report — RT News
- U.S. suffers from lifespan inequality, says Stanford researcher
- De-Manufacturing Consent- The Snowden-ISIS Hoax
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch
- You’ve Got Mail: Judge Grants Feds Unrestricted Access To Gmail Account
- "According to audio of a phone call allegedly made two minutes before the disaster, the Demon was told:..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MqKuB7 23 minutes ago
- Israel Intensifies Gaza Assault; Palestinian Toll Tops 1,100 | Democracy Now! ow.ly/2KS1yP 28 minutes ago
- Environmental disaster seen in Libya fighting | World War 4 Report ow.ly/zI7Wy 40 minutes ago
- UN: Israeli Military Drops More Leaflets, Gaza Evacuation in Progress - International Middle East Media Center ow.ly/2KQAPA 12 hours ago
- "Secretary-General Ki-moon strongly urges all sides to avoid any further escalation at this time,..." ow.ly/2KQySK 12 hours ago