Throughout the early part of the twentieth century, African-American activists fought to thwart the systemic scourge of lynching. Faced with a silent and complicit populace, particularly the media and political establishment, African Americans forced the nation to bare witness to the depravity of American racism. Between 1882 and 1968, close to 5,000 lynchings (73% of the victims were black) took place on American soil, and that is of course an estimate that does not account for the countless unknown souls who lost their lives at the hands of White supremacy. According to Richard Perloff, racial lynchings had become commonplace in part of because of the media’s failures to bring the injustice into light. He quotes a white resident of Emelle Alabama, who questioned a reporter’s inquiry into the killing of an African American: “A few White residents who had been on hand when the men were killed refused to talk about the events to reporters from The Tuscaloosa News. “What the hell are you newspaper men doing here?” asked a White man who had been part of the vigilante group. ‘We’re just killing a few negroes that we’ve waited too damn long about leaving for the buzzards. That’s not news’” (Raper, 1933, p. 67). The silence from the mainstream media about blacks victims burned to death, hung, and dismembered, embodied the normalization of white supremacist violence.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Print Friendly: Kerry’s threats vs Russia unacceptable, West sides with neo-Nazis –Russian FM
- Организация Объединённых Наций: Помогите искоренить профашистских террористов захвативших власть в Украине.
- Slough antifascist demo, 01.02.2014 (Photos)
- Ukraine Snipers Hired by Neo-Nazi Coup!
- Russia hits back at US ‘barefaced cynicism and double standards’ over Ukraine — RT News
- "The incident occurred in Riebeeck Street outside the Sky Sports Bar on Thursday morning. An office..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19Swu1w 24 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #African #Genocide and #Christian #Misogyny w/ Dr Kris Neuhaus ow.ly/tE5sy #ProChoice 37 minutes ago
- Oliver North At CPAC: Fight Against Gay Marriage Like Slavery | Crooks and Liars - In an appearance at CPAC... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19SsiJZ 38 minutes ago
- Teaching the Movement 2014: The State of Civil Rights Education in the United States | Teaching Tolerance -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19SsTHD 39 minutes ago
- Teaching the Movement 2014: The State of Civil Rights Education in the United States | Teaching Tolerance ow.ly/umf5g 42 minutes ago