Throughout the early part of the twentieth century, African-American activists fought to thwart the systemic scourge of lynching. Faced with a silent and complicit populace, particularly the media and political establishment, African Americans forced the nation to bare witness to the depravity of American racism. Between 1882 and 1968, close to 5,000 lynchings (73% of the victims were black) took place on American soil, and that is of course an estimate that does not account for the countless unknown souls who lost their lives at the hands of White supremacy. According to Richard Perloff, racial lynchings had become commonplace in part of because of the media’s failures to bring the injustice into light. He quotes a white resident of Emelle Alabama, who questioned a reporter’s inquiry into the killing of an African American: “A few White residents who had been on hand when the men were killed refused to talk about the events to reporters from The Tuscaloosa News. “What the hell are you newspaper men doing here?” asked a White man who had been part of the vigilante group. ‘We’re just killing a few negroes that we’ve waited too damn long about leaving for the buzzards. That’s not news’” (Raper, 1933, p. 67). The silence from the mainstream media about blacks victims burned to death, hung, and dismembered, embodied the normalization of white supremacist violence.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Australia’s Attorney-General: Data Retention Is ‘Very Much The Way In Which Western Nations Are Going’ | Techdirt
- UN: South Sudan arms embargo crucial after massive Chinese weapons transfer | Amnesty International USA
- Hillary Clinton’s Bizarre Critique of U.S. Foreign Policy – Peter Beinart – The Atlantic
- SARE ANTIFAXISTA: La Guardia Civil asegura que la organización nazi-fascista vendía armas
- IDF Begins Ground Surge Into Occupied Palestine | APNS Novaĵagentejo
- "As the Israelis once more inflict collective punishment in Gaza (a tactic which happens to..." ow.ly/2KjTqu 6 days ago
- IDF Begins Ground Surge Into Occupied Palestine ow.ly/2KjOle 6 days ago
- The Dine’ for Sanctions Against Israel held a... - The Dine’ for Sanctions Against Israel held a d... ow.ly/2KjLDg 6 days ago
- "As the Israelis once more inflict collective punishment in Gaza (a tactic which happens to constitute..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1LmOGdM 6 days ago
- "17\7\2014 - 230 Martyrs and 1960 wounded in the continues war on Gaza, more than 40% of them are..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1LmNirW 6 days ago