To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Fourth World Radyo: Strange Bedfellows – Capitalist Ghost Wars and the Odd Couple of Fascist Friendships
- NATO to fly AWACS over Poland, Romania to monitor Ukraine crisis – News – World – The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video
- 10.03.2014: Jagd auf Linke Tageszeitung junge Welt
- Crimeas Case for Leaving #Ukraine | The Smirking Chimp
- US officials in Kiev helping probe ‘kleptocracy’ in Ukraine | AFP/The Raw Story
- Photo: aljazeeraamerica: Hundreds of immigration detainees on hunger strike in Washington state U.S.... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19nReKn 58 minutes ago
- Stokes demand autopsy to determine cause of Lumumba’s... - Stokes demand autopsy to determine cause of... ow.ly/2EAvmG 1 hour ago
- 15 #Twitter Accounts Every #Native Should Follow - ICTMN.com ow.ly/urFFZ 2 hours ago
- Video: Stokes demand autopsy to determine cause of Lumumba’s death (by PressTV News Videos) — American... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19mfbZL 3 hours ago
- Ukraine: 'Civil War is Possible' - Ukraine: 'Civil War is Possible': fuckyeahmarxismleninism: ... ow.ly/2EA8ga 5 hours ago