To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Protest Planned Over Mandatory Vaccine Requirement in New York | Politicker
- How NSA Mass Surveillance is Hurting the US Economy | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- How the FBI Conspired to Destroy the Black Panther Party – In These Times
- Article: ALEC Claims to Control 100% of Iowa’s & South Dakota’s State Legislatures | OpEdNews
- Swiss clocks tick past banks’ deadline to disclose hidden assets to US — RT Business
- American Indian boarding schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - American Indian boarding schools -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10sV6B7 1 hour ago
- Photoset: thepeoplesrecord: Leonard Peltier on the passing of Nelson Mandela: Apartheid still exists in... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10sQOaT 2 hours ago
- kristalryx-deactivated20131210 asked: Why are you do obsessed with my culture? Don't POC have their own? tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10sPmI_ 2 hours ago
- iloveancestry: REALITY CHECK: Canada & USA, when will you take responsibility for your inhuman behavior of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10sOyrD 2 hours ago
- The Massacre at El Mozote. - elrastrodetusangreenlanieve: This is the better write up I’ve ever read on... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10sOlYO 2 hours ago