To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- KKK plans to employ US troops in training for upcoming race war VIDEO — RT USA
- DoD: Military Equipment Helps Local Police Do Their Job
- Saginaw sheriff dumping military vehicle made fun of by HBO comedy show | MLive.com
- President Obama sending AG Holder to Ferguson, Remarks on Ferguson Today
- National Guard Sent To Ferguson After Night Of “Molotov Cocktails, Shootings, Looting And Vandalism ” | Zero Hedge
- AVAAZ spreads Tutu's message to divest from Israel and free Palestine - Sabbah Report ow.ly/2M6aVo 17 minutes ago
- Amnesty International Takes “Unprecedented” U.S. Action In Ferguson - Democratic Underground ow.ly/2M4j02 11 hours ago
- Pastor: In Ferguson Police Crackdown, I Need a Gas Mask More Than My Clerical Collar | Democracy Now! ow.ly/2M4j01 11 hours ago
- SD Police Say Tazing 8-Year-Old Native Girl Was Justified, Family Sues - ICTMN.com ow.ly/2M4iZY 11 hours ago
- Do not harm homosexuals, Archbishop Odama appeals - National - monitor.co.ug ow.ly/2M4cL0 12 hours ago