Tunisias ex-strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali has been sentenced in absentia to life in prison for complicity in the murders of 43 protesters in the 2011 revolution. Hedi Ayari, a judge from the Tunis military court, said Ben Ali was judged with around 40 of his former officials. General Ali Seriati, ex-head of presidential security, was given a 20-year prison term, AP reports. Former interior minister Rafik Belhaj Kacem got 15 years. The case against Ahmed Friaa, another former interior minister, was dismissed. Families of the victims said the sentences for Seriati and Kacem were too lenient.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- suicide rate increases in Greece
- Ex-AIPAC Lobbyist Now Taxpayer Funded "Anti-Semitism Envoy" at State Department!
- Fascist Friendly Shop In Brum - Woops!
- More Seniors Living in Poverty Than Thought
- Race, beauty, representation and black invisibility: how two recent beauty contests represent Brazil's racial ideology
- "I also identify with Malcolm’s political views. Throughout the course of his political career, Malcolm..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlXC1Ja 46 minutes ago
- "An unfeigned disaster has occurred. A portion of Peru’s Nazca lines have been destroyed, and all just..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlX9Y3i 54 minutes ago
- [TW: Torture, sexual violence]: Revised Guantanamo force-feed policy exposed ow.ly/2x3nIe 1 hour ago
- [TW: Torture, sexual violence]: Revised Guantanamo force-feed policy exposed - queeraztlan: Al Jazeera’s... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWw9bG 1 hour ago
- Mali government to resume talks with Tuaregs - autrespays: Talks will resume soon between the Malian... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWvzFb 1 hour ago