The report, issued by the U.N.’s Somalia Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) and reviewed by The Daily Beast, details three covert U.S. programs to aid local Somali security services in their fight against Al-Shabab, the Somalia affiliate of al Qaeda. It says Central Intelligence Agency officers are helping the government of Puntland, a semi-autonomous region not recognized by the U.N., and U.S. special forces are fighting alongside Puntland soldiers. It also says the U.S. hasn’t notified the U.N. of these activities, as is required by the terms of the embargo. The U.S. helped establish the embargo in 1992 when Somalia erupted in a civil war.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- De-Manufacturing Consent- The Snowden-ISIS Hoax
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch
- You’ve Got Mail: Judge Grants Feds Unrestricted Access To Gmail Account
- cryptogon.com » Only U.S. Votes Against Resolution to Investigate Latest Round of Israeli Atrocities
- Troubling new video shows excessive force was ordered at Denver jail | The Colorado Independent
- Valcourt Announces Measures to Advance Treaty Negotiations and Reconciliation | On First Nation Issues, Events, An... ow.ly/2KPylM 1 hour ago
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch ow.ly/2KPylL 1 hour ago
- Apparently it’s “pro life” to feature pictures... ... ow.ly/2KPwBS 1 hour ago
- Photo: Apparently it’s “pro life” to feature pictures of doctors with handguns pointed at their faces on... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Ml3abB 1 hour ago
- #LeonardPeltier 1 hour ago