The report, issued by the U.N.’s Somalia Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) and reviewed by The Daily Beast, details three covert U.S. programs to aid local Somali security services in their fight against Al-Shabab, the Somalia affiliate of al Qaeda. It says Central Intelligence Agency officers are helping the government of Puntland, a semi-autonomous region not recognized by the U.N., and U.S. special forces are fighting alongside Puntland soldiers. It also says the U.S. hasn’t notified the U.N. of these activities, as is required by the terms of the embargo. The U.S. helped establish the embargo in 1992 when Somalia erupted in a civil war.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- "The first response is not to record information at all.” This is what was claimed when Vox Political..." ow.ly/2NBXxH 3 hours ago
- "The first response is not to record information at all.” This is what was claimed when Vox Political..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Q-1m42 4 hours ago
- "A senior European Union official has revealed that some EU member states have purchased oil from..." ow.ly/2NBEMk 5 hours ago
- "A senior European Union official has revealed that some EU member states have purchased oil from ISIL..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Q_WQaN 6 hours ago
- Oil and gas pollution committee quietly silenced - Oil and gas pollution committee quietly silenced : resi... ow.ly/2NBqrC 6 hours ago