The report, issued by the U.N.’s Somalia Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) and reviewed by The Daily Beast, details three covert U.S. programs to aid local Somali security services in their fight against Al-Shabab, the Somalia affiliate of al Qaeda. It says Central Intelligence Agency officers are helping the government of Puntland, a semi-autonomous region not recognized by the U.N., and U.S. special forces are fighting alongside Puntland soldiers. It also says the U.S. hasn’t notified the U.N. of these activities, as is required by the terms of the embargo. The U.S. helped establish the embargo in 1992 when Somalia erupted in a civil war.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- US Training of Mexican Troops Has Escalated in Step With Mexico’s Murder Rate | the narcosphere
- The Republican Quest to Privatize All Government Has Jeopardized National Security
- FBI: Government has used surveillance drones in the U.S.
- Corrupt politicians must pay for their sins – Rawlings – Vanguard News
- From Cointel-Pro to Gang Injunctions to PRISM & Privatization our HKR Intv w/ Kali Akuno
- Be Vigilant for Lynne Stewart – As She Was For All of Us | Black Agenda Report ow.ly/2xJjBc 9 hours ago
- Brazil rage spills onto the streets: LIVE UPDATES — RT News ow.ly/2xJ6Pi 10 hours ago
- Be Vigilant for Lynne Stewart – As She Was For All of Us | Black Agenda Report - There is a vigil underway... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkSkqF 11 hours ago
- "Violent clashes have erupted in the northern city of Fortaleza in the hours leading to a Confederations..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkSUrE 11 hours ago
- "Between 2008 and the summer of 2011 when he left his post as grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnkQVOb 11 hours ago