A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Islamic State militants now world’s richest – Yahoo News
- Citizenfour’s Escape to Freedom in Russia | Consortiumnews
- Saudi extremist funding ‘has been stopped completely,’ claims Prince Alwaleed
- Loyalists planned killings before and after ceasefire – Irish Republican News – Sat, Oct 18, 2014
- MH-17: THE UNTOLD STORY
- The “First CD-ROM”, Phaistos Disc, Stores Prayer to Mother - The “First CD-ROM”, Phaistos Disc, Stores Prayer to M... ow.ly/2PzCbS 47 minutes ago
- The “First CD-ROM”, Phaistos Disc, Stores Prayer to Mother - archaeologicalnews: The first ever CD-ROM, the... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Tsbmvr 1 hour ago
- Felicia Day's public details put online after she described Gamergate fears - animatedamerican: bigangry:... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Tsbdnn 1 hour ago
- Photo: chirikli: muslimwomeninhistory: via Mehreen Kasana woww people are disgusting tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TsbaPw 1 hour ago
- Photo: globalvoices: Kurmanjan Datka, a rare female ruler in Kyrgyz history, turned a blind eye to her... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TsahDc 1 hour ago