A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Cop Beats Schizophrenic Man to Death on Video, Faces 15 Years in Prison | The Free Thought Project
- White House reverses story on Obama living with Kenyan uncle in the 1980s – NBC Politics
- White House admits lying about Obama meeting Kenyan uncle – National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
- Remembering the Montreal Massacre on campus: Problems and possibilities in 2013 | rabble.ca
- Six Things Nelson Mandela Believed That Most People Won’t Talk About | ThinkProgress
- Former KKK leader David Duke kicked out of Italy over his ‘socially dangerous racist views’ | FreakOutNati... ow.ly/2BYhBU 3 hours ago
- "on July 19th, 1984, Dunnes Stores worker Mary Manning refused to check out a customer’s South African..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UWj10 3 hours ago
- The #Genocide You Never Knew About - PolicyMic ow.ly/rxp9z 3 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'Thanks-Taking & the Progressive Stupidity of the Political Left' / ow.ly/rxoWJ #Redskin #Propaganda 4 hours ago
- "Slavery had been invented. It soon became the dominant form of production among all peoples who were..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UPg4P 4 hours ago