Contact: Sharon Singh, email@example.com, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Article: Important victory in case of Ray McGovern’s brutal arrest | OpEdNews
- In America the ‘Terrorists’ All Too Often Are the Police » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names
- ANTIFA 2014 Internationale
- Detention of French Journalists in West Papua Raised at UN
- Islamic State: Assad lures President Obama into his web .
- La tragédie inuite: le sud sans issue | Cyberpresse ow.ly/2NRMGF 59 minutes ago
- "#HASHTAGS# – #1MH, #UNITY, #UNITEDWESTAND!, #Blackpound, #spendingpower #powernomics, #BBC, #Ourcut,..." ow.ly/2NRGec 1 hour ago
- "#HASHTAGS# – #1MH, #UNITY, #UNITEDWESTAND!, #Blackpound, #spendingpower #powernomics, #BBC, #Ourcut,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1RLLFhv 2 hours ago
- "The secretary of Florida’s prison system has fired nearly three dozen guards in the wake of the recent..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1RLKOxh 2 hours ago
- BBC News - Scottish referendum: Alex Salmond says 'No' voters were 'tricked' ow.ly/2NRBoL 2 hours ago