Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- De-Manufacturing Consent- The Snowden-ISIS Hoax
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch
- You’ve Got Mail: Judge Grants Feds Unrestricted Access To Gmail Account
- cryptogon.com » Only U.S. Votes Against Resolution to Investigate Latest Round of Israeli Atrocities
- Troubling new video shows excessive force was ordered at Denver jail | The Colorado Independent
- The Malcolm X Files | The Smoking Gun ow.ly/zGgZw 4 hours ago
- Valcourt Announces Measures to Advance Treaty Negotiations and Reconciliation | On First Nation Issues, Events, An... ow.ly/2KPylM 7 hours ago
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch ow.ly/2KPylL 7 hours ago
- Apparently it’s “pro life” to feature pictures... ... ow.ly/2KPwBS 7 hours ago
- Photo: Apparently it’s “pro life” to feature pictures of doctors with handguns pointed at their faces on... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Ml3abB 7 hours ago