Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Waiting for Goodlatte | TheHill
- Inside the FBI’s secret relationship with the military’s special operations – The Washington Post
- Surveillance is the Business Model of the Internet: Bruce Schneier | SecurityWeek.Com
- Inside the FBI’s secret relationship with US elite assassination team, JSOC | Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fourth World Radyo: Talking Papua Merdeka! With Ronny Kareni and AKRockefeller | APNS Public Radyo
- Putin to US: It’s bad to read other people’s letters... - Putin to US: It’s bad to read ... ow.ly/2FAAyn 4 days ago
- "Flaherty was part of Mike Harris’ government in Ontario, whose cuts to water inspection services led..." ow.ly/2FAv3s 4 days ago
- International Coalition Supports El Salvador in Battle Against Canadian Mining Company | MiningWatch ow.ly/2FAxMV 4 days ago
- Video: Putin to US: It’s bad to read other people’s letters (by RT) — Europe should switch from promises to... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Clx8yA 4 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: Deconstructing Popular Activism & Absolutism Within The New Left : (04.03.2014) ow.ly/vHtEQ #CancelColbert 4 days ago