Contact: Sharon Singh, email@example.com, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Yemen appoints Khalid Bahah as new prime minister..ex oil minister and UN envoy
- Credit Suisse: Australians are the richest people in the world
- “Global economy not growing as companies sit on billions and don’t invest”
- Oil prices plunge as production rises..OPEC scrambling..falling oil prices “catastrophic”
- CIA classified review: Covertly arming insurgents doesn’t work — RT USA
- Ravalomanana’s family ‘under house arrest’ - Daily News | News | IOL.co.za ow.ly/2Pk15w 3 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #3rdWorldSolidarity: Global #Revolution & The Question Of #African Political Integrity ow.ly/CVzKr #Ferguson #Gaza 3 days ago
- Britain Uganda Mutiny 1897-1901 ow.ly/CTdip 4 days ago
- "Slavery among Native Americans in the United States includes slavery by Native Americans as well as..." ow.ly/2PdjIJ 4 days ago
- "Slavery among Native Americans in the United States includes slavery by Native Americans as well as..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TH1d0V 5 days ago