Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- PressTV – ISIL: We will attack Saudi Arabia during Eid al-Adha
- PressTV – US police force have become militarized: Analyst
- Disney files patent applications to use drones in its theme parks – Orlando Sentinel
- Cyber attack reveals data on at least 25,000 workers at the US Department of Homeland Security | The Verge
- BBC News – NSA and GCHQ agents ‘leak Tor bugs’, alleges developer
- Georgia restores gun rights to ex-cop who attempted to rape a woman with his gun ow.ly/2MvvYY 2 hours ago
- Georgia restores gun rights to ex-cop who attempted to rape a woman with his gun - kohenari: One thing is... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PLC79j 3 hours ago
- Photo: guardian: Zara has pulled a striped shirt featuring a yellow star on the front from sale after it... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PLBpse 3 hours ago
- Secret files reveal 9,000 Nazi war criminals fled to South America after WWII - According to... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PLBY3L 3 hours ago
- "I’m also a killer. I’ve killed a lot, and if I need to I’ll kill a whole bunch more. If you don’t want..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PLBSr7 3 hours ago