Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Remembering the Montreal Massacre on campus: Problems and possibilities in 2013 | rabble.ca
- Six Things Nelson Mandela Believed That Most People Won’t Talk About | ThinkProgress
- Patriot Act author: Obama’s intel czar should be prosecuted | TheHill
- C.I.A. TIE REPORTED IN MANDELA ARREST – New York Times
- Mandela, the man once branded a ‘terrorist’ by the U.S. – Al Arabiya News
- Fight the right-washing of Nelson Mandela’s legacy - Salon.com ow.ly/2BYcyj 1 hour ago
- onlyslavesdream: 'Dominican, Haitian, we are all one family': protesters condemn anti-Haitian law... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10T7jYI 2 hours ago
- Photo: moorbey: Haitiano wp.me/sTjOC-haitiano View Post tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10T6a7M 2 hours ago
- Jimmy Jean-Louis: Bordering Excessive - Thanks to Jo Spalburg for sending us “Bordering Excessive” by Jimmy... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10T6MjW 2 hours ago
- "The struggle against the Supreme Court ruling in the Dominican Republic continues (a ruling which more..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10T61-i 2 hours ago