The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Waiting for Goodlatte | TheHill
- Inside the FBI’s secret relationship with the military’s special operations – The Washington Post
- Surveillance is the Business Model of the Internet: Bruce Schneier | SecurityWeek.Com
- Inside the FBI’s secret relationship with US elite assassination team, JSOC | Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fourth World Radyo: Talking Papua Merdeka! With Ronny Kareni and AKRockefeller | APNS Public Radyo
- Putin to US: It’s bad to read other people’s letters... - Putin to US: It’s bad to read ... ow.ly/2FAAyn 5 days ago
- "Flaherty was part of Mike Harris’ government in Ontario, whose cuts to water inspection services led..." ow.ly/2FAv3s 5 days ago
- International Coalition Supports El Salvador in Battle Against Canadian Mining Company | MiningWatch ow.ly/2FAxMV 5 days ago
- Video: Putin to US: It’s bad to read other people’s letters (by RT) — Europe should switch from promises to... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Clx8yA 5 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: Deconstructing Popular Activism & Absolutism Within The New Left : (04.03.2014) ow.ly/vHtEQ #CancelColbert 5 days ago