The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Elsipogtog man says RCMP officers visited home with questions about Facebook comment » APTN National News
- The Mismeasurez of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughtz on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives
- Protesters Block Downtown Oil Train Tracks; Legislative Candidate Jess Spear Arrested | Slog
- ‘Accusation drive’ – Indonesia president slams Australia’s gagging order exposed by WikiLeaks — RT News
- Benghazi ‘falls to al-Qaeda-linked rebels’ – Middle East – Al Jazeera English
- #EbolaWatch: #Africa -- Julio 31, 2014 - RT Novaĵoj ow.ly/2L2qIL 12 minutes ago
- "The international body also expressed “grave disappointment” that its previous calls for a truce..." ow.ly/2L2oTx 24 minutes ago
- "The international body also expressed “grave disappointment” that its previous calls for a truce have..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N2no2J 43 minutes ago
- [HESSEN] #Antifa Camp 2014 | linksunten.indymedia.org ow.ly/zOWz1 47 minutes ago
- #LeonardPeltier 1 hour ago