After we read through the Advisory Board documents, we quickly sent Open Records requests to several of the states involved in the pilot program. The documents we received from Maryland and Hawaii further flesh out the story. For example, the Memorandum of Understanding MOU between Hawaii and the FBI shows that the government is building NGI to “permit photo submissions independent of arrests.” This is a problem because, the FBI has stated it wants to use its facial recognition system to “identify subjects in public datasets” and “conduct automated surveillance at lookout locations” p.5. This suggests the FBI wants to be able to search and identify people in photos of crowds and in pictures posted on social media sites—even if the people in those photos haven’t been arrested for or even suspected of a crime. The FBI may also want to incorporate those crowd or social media photos into its face recognition database.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pennsylvania Trooper Who Kicked in Handcuffed Man’s Teeth Didn’t Use Excessive Force, Jury Finds
- Radio-controlled helicopter had ‘serious risk of collision’ with jetliner at YVR
- ‘Environmental Injustice’: Minorities Face Nearly 40% More Exposure to Toxic Air Pollution | Common Dreams
- LISTEN: Alleged Kansas Gunman Frazier Glenn Miller Discusses the Tea Party, Obama, and Ron Paul | Mother Jones
- Report indicates that US aligned regimes are preparing for war — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- thenationmagazine: Fuck Earth Day. No, really.@Fuck Earth Day.... ow.ly/2FVXAr 1 day ago
- #IdleNoMore ! #VAWA Mohawks begin direct action to force missing, murdered inquiry ow.ly/2FVRP4 1 day ago
- Arizona tribe set to prosecute first non-Indian under a new law - The Washington Post ow.ly/2FVVgI 1 day ago
- Kanehsatake: Mohawk Warriors face Canadian-style colonialism | Colours of Resistance Archive ow.ly/2FVVgJ 1 day ago
- MoveOn Petitions - Support Winnemem Cultural Survival - Tell Congress "No" to the Shasta Dam raise. ow.ly/2FVVgK 1 day ago