After we read through the Advisory Board documents, we quickly sent Open Records requests to several of the states involved in the pilot program. The documents we received from Maryland and Hawaii further flesh out the story. For example, the Memorandum of Understanding MOU between Hawaii and the FBI shows that the government is building NGI to “permit photo submissions independent of arrests.” This is a problem because, the FBI has stated it wants to use its facial recognition system to “identify subjects in public datasets” and “conduct automated surveillance at lookout locations” p.5. This suggests the FBI wants to be able to search and identify people in photos of crowds and in pictures posted on social media sites—even if the people in those photos haven’t been arrested for or even suspected of a crime. The FBI may also want to incorporate those crowd or social media photos into its face recognition database.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- CIA accused of spying on Congress over torture report — RT USA
- National inventory of hate groups ranks Texas near top, with 8 in Houston – Houston Chronicle
- British convict says he met Bin Laden ‘20 to 50 times’ | GulfNews.com
- Experian Lapse Allowed ID Theft Service Access to 200 Million Consumer Records — Krebs on Security
- Federal Official Declares That Anyone Who Speaks Out Against Lie Detector Tests Should Be Criminally Investigated | Techdirt
- 5centsapound: Sue Williamson: A Few South Africans (1984) Made... ow.ly/2EC03p 3 hours ago
- "Volunteers from self-defense units are taking an oath of allegiance to the people of Crimea as the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qgaJb 4 hours ago
- Photoset: 5centsapound: Sue Williamson: A Few South Africans (1984) Made at a time when South Africa was... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qbN_Y 5 hours ago
- rscspokenword: the-red-planet: faerieclara: i’ll like neil degrasse tyson the day he apologizes for this... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qbF4P 5 hours ago
- "One man said that the QQ account of his brother-in-law showed him as online, but frustratingly for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qXL1R 5 hours ago