A PROMINENT Papua New Guinea politician says he will take legal action to stop Manus Island detention centre being reopened to house asylum seekers. National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop, a member of Prime Minister Peter ONeills coalition government, says a detention centre contradicts PNGs law and culture.”You cannot detain people here in PNG – even if they are aliens from outer space – we cannot detain them indefinitely,” Mr Parkop says.”Thats the law in PNG. It isnt in our culture to lock people up without a charge.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Pentagon Funds Tools to Track and Kill Activists
- AdDetector will make sure you never mistake a sponsored story for a real one | The Verge
- Local police involved in 400 killings per year
- U.S.: Dearborn cleric popular with ISIS fighters owes $250K for fraud | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
- California highway patrol officer under investigation for beating mentally ill woman — Society’s Child — Sott.net
- 469 Gaza children killed, over 370,000 need ‘psychosocial aid’ – UNICEF — RT News ow.ly/2Mc8K3 8 hours ago
- "NYPD cops beat a man Wednesday night during a solidarity protest for Michael Brown, a video shows,..." ow.ly/2Mc7Mg 8 hours ago
- "NYPD cops beat a man Wednesday night during a solidarity protest for Michael Brown, a video shows,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OuIPB9 9 hours ago
- 'This is the Story of Power in this Country': Ferguson, Institutionalized Racism and the Militarization of Police ... ow.ly/2Mb8qU 15 hours ago
- Union fights Israel ‘security risk’ claims to ban Palestinian union activists from West Bank workplaces ow.ly/2Mb8qT 15 hours ago