A PROMINENT Papua New Guinea politician says he will take legal action to stop Manus Island detention centre being reopened to house asylum seekers. National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop, a member of Prime Minister Peter ONeills coalition government, says a detention centre contradicts PNGs law and culture.”You cannot detain people here in PNG – even if they are aliens from outer space – we cannot detain them indefinitely,” Mr Parkop says.”Thats the law in PNG. It isnt in our culture to lock people up without a charge.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Fatima and Ahmed's Son: Albert Camus and the Liberal Dilemma
- 2,814 Deaths of the Mentally Ill in Police Custody, Zero Prosecutions: Where is the Justice?
- A major milestone: my 25th birthday!
- MADDOW: Fair Game to DISCLOSE NAMES of Republicans WHO LIED to ABC News – Democratic Underground
- Israeli official: Syria’s Bashar Assad preferable to Islamist takeover – Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
- "Every South Asian reader knew the answer. When even whiteness is freighted in liberal circles with..." ow.ly/2wZiDi 7 hours ago
- Judeo-Masonic conspiracy theory - Wikipedia ow.ly/laSQ7 #Judeophobia 7 hours ago
- "Every South Asian reader knew the answer. When even whiteness is freighted in liberal circles with..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlK4Yz_ 8 hours ago
- I apologise female activists, I missed adding the #Misogyny tag to the last post. And it fits like a glove. 8 hours ago
- "Jimmy Mubenga, the 46-year-old man who died on a plane while being deported from the UK by private..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlJzdyi 8 hours ago