Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Yemen appoints Khalid Bahah as new prime minister..ex oil minister and UN envoy
- Credit Suisse: Australians are the richest people in the world
- “Global economy not growing as companies sit on billions and don’t invest”
- Oil prices plunge as production rises..OPEC scrambling..falling oil prices “catastrophic”
- CIA classified review: Covertly arming insurgents doesn’t work — RT USA
- Ravalomanana’s family ‘under house arrest’ - Daily News | News | IOL.co.za ow.ly/2Pk15w 3 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #3rdWorldSolidarity: Global #Revolution & The Question Of #African Political Integrity ow.ly/CVzKr #Ferguson #Gaza 3 days ago
- Britain Uganda Mutiny 1897-1901 ow.ly/CTdip 4 days ago
- "Slavery among Native Americans in the United States includes slavery by Native Americans as well as..." ow.ly/2PdjIJ 4 days ago
- "Slavery among Native Americans in the United States includes slavery by Native Americans as well as..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TH1d0V 4 days ago