Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- #GazaUnderAttack | July 30, 2014 | Israel’s Genocide: 1324 Palestinians Killed – In Photos
- Lavon Affair
- Justice Department orders secrecy for files of anti-Iran advocacy group – Boing Boing
- Germany Will Ban Tech Companies That Play Ball With NSA – No federal contracts will go to companies that turn over data to the NSA or other agencies. There may, however, be one crucial exemption ~ News Forage
- Federal review stalled after finding forensic errors by FBI lab unit spanned two decades – The Washington Post
- "If you don’t get murdered by an Israeli missile, you will live your entire life with monstrous..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MzYLde 1 hour ago
- First Nation slams coverup of mercury poisoning report -The Common Sense CanadianThe Common Sense Canadian ow.ly/2KYJak 1 hour ago
- In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier Denis... - In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier D... ow.ly/2KYGY1 1 hour ago
- Photo: In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier Denis Napthine, the Attorney General, Leader of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MzO7Xc 1 hour ago
- HEIDEGGERS CHILDREN: The Strange Rebirth of Anglo #Christian Extremism In The West ow.ly/zMfQK #WhiteSupremacy #Fascism #FarRight 1 hour ago