Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Lindsey Graham promises results for white men | MSNBC
- Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- Ferguson police violence the latest indication of United States’ deteriorating human rights situation
- At the UN, Obama invokes Ferguson: ‘We welcome the scrutiny of the world’ – The Washington Post
- Welcome To The War On Drugs
- Stormfront | Southern Poverty Law Center ow.ly/DEGtZ #AntiFa 11 hours ago
- UN racism watchdog urges US to stop police brutality - Chicago Tribune ow.ly/2Q00CD 11 hours ago
- HEIDEGGER'S CHILDREN: The Strange Rebirth of Anglo-Christian Extremism In The West ow.ly/DEAV9 #WhiteSupremacy #Fascism #FarRight 12 hours ago
- American Racial Discrimination on the Docket at the United Nations - NPQ - Nonprofit Quarterly ow.ly/2PZCH5 14 hours ago
- Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination:@The... ow.ly/2PZCH6 14 hours ago