Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Peace pact with MILF possible in 5 weeks, says gov’t negotiator | Inquirer News
- Professors criticize Obama's speech - OrlandoSentinel.com
- Guatemala: Survivors Reluctant To Testify In New Genocide Trial – Indigenous Peoples Issues and Resources
- How GCHQ stepped up spying on South African foreign ministry | World news | The Guardian
- Popular Seattle Teacher Forced Out for Teaching Kids About Racism – Yahoo! News
- "16/6/2013- Despite condemnation by Milan’s mayor and other political figures, hundreds of far-right..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnc7vT1 23 minutes ago
- "When it comes to political analysts and commentators, however, South Africans seem to apply a different..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnc7TO4 25 minutes ago
- "This weekend marks the 3rd Annual Return of the Boise Valley Peoples Conference, where members of five..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnc6lit 28 minutes ago
- Video: Confronto da PM com manifestantes na Pampulha - 17 de junho (by Eucidio Arruda) tmblr.co/Zu0CAwnbpKFh 1 hour ago
- azspot: The Geography of Hunger in America - azspot: The Geography of Hunger in America ow.ly/2xFFA5 3 hours ago