The Act and its associated amending legislation, which quickly became known as ‘the intervention’, introduced a range of racist and highly paternalistic measures to ‘prescribed areas’ of the Northern Territory, all of which were aboriginal communities. Those measures included a total ban on the possession and consumption of alcohol, compulsory income management for all welfare recipients (ration cards), compulsory installation of anti-pornography filters on all public computers as well as obligatory record-keeping of all computer users, the cutting back of the permit system for entry onto aboriginal land, the federal government takeover of local services and community stores as well as a ministerial power to suspend all elected councillors, the ban on Northern Territory courts from taking customary law into account when dealing with bail applications and sentencing, and compulsory rent-free five year leases of aboriginal land to the federal government. As an emergency piece of legislation the Act had a sunset clause of five years.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Photoset: thalestral: Glasgow Violence: When Media Bias Goes Too Far On Thursday, 85% of the Scottish... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1RHCufn 28 minutes ago
- NSA Recruiter Assaults Student for Asking Questions About Data Collection - c4ss: The University of New... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1RHCawk 29 minutes ago
- revolutionary-afrolatino: LAPD Kills About One Person A Week,... ow.ly/2NQdSN 1 hour ago
- Inteligenta Aborigena Radyo - ow.ly/BJ4am 2 hours ago
- Praloĝanto Gazetaraj Novaĵoj Servo (APNS) ow.ly/BJ2SM 2 hours ago