The Act and its associated amending legislation, which quickly became known as ‘the intervention’, introduced a range of racist and highly paternalistic measures to ‘prescribed areas’ of the Northern Territory, all of which were aboriginal communities. Those measures included a total ban on the possession and consumption of alcohol, compulsory income management for all welfare recipients (ration cards), compulsory installation of anti-pornography filters on all public computers as well as obligatory record-keeping of all computer users, the cutting back of the permit system for entry onto aboriginal land, the federal government takeover of local services and community stores as well as a ministerial power to suspend all elected councillors, the ban on Northern Territory courts from taking customary law into account when dealing with bail applications and sentencing, and compulsory rent-free five year leases of aboriginal land to the federal government. As an emergency piece of legislation the Act had a sunset clause of five years.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Cop Beats Schizophrenic Man to Death on Video, Faces 15 Years in Prison | The Free Thought Project
- White House reverses story on Obama living with Kenyan uncle in the 1980s – NBC Politics
- White House admits lying about Obama meeting Kenyan uncle – National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
- Remembering the Montreal Massacre on campus: Problems and possibilities in 2013 | rabble.ca
- Six Things Nelson Mandela Believed That Most People Won’t Talk About | ThinkProgress
- Former KKK leader David Duke kicked out of Italy over his ‘socially dangerous racist views’ | FreakOutNati... ow.ly/2BYhBU 2 days ago
- "on July 19th, 1984, Dunnes Stores worker Mary Manning refused to check out a customer’s South African..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UWj10 2 days ago
- The #Genocide You Never Knew About - PolicyMic ow.ly/rxp9z 2 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'Thanks-Taking & the Progressive Stupidity of the Political Left' / ow.ly/rxoWJ #Redskin #Propaganda 2 days ago
- "Slavery had been invented. It soon became the dominant form of production among all peoples who were..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UPg4P 2 days ago