The Act and its associated amending legislation, which quickly became known as ‘the intervention’, introduced a range of racist and highly paternalistic measures to ‘prescribed areas’ of the Northern Territory, all of which were aboriginal communities. Those measures included a total ban on the possession and consumption of alcohol, compulsory income management for all welfare recipients (ration cards), compulsory installation of anti-pornography filters on all public computers as well as obligatory record-keeping of all computer users, the cutting back of the permit system for entry onto aboriginal land, the federal government takeover of local services and community stores as well as a ministerial power to suspend all elected councillors, the ban on Northern Territory courts from taking customary law into account when dealing with bail applications and sentencing, and compulsory rent-free five year leases of aboriginal land to the federal government. As an emergency piece of legislation the Act had a sunset clause of five years.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Prison Labor: Exposed
- Body of tortured Afghan unearthed near former US Special Forces base – report — RT News
- Joyner: Timothy McVeigh Was ‘Left-Wing’; Media Number One Terrorist Organization In The World | Right Wing Watch
- Report into Operation Eight finds Police acted unlawfully | Scoop News
- Federal Appeals Court: Drug Sentencing Disparity Is Intentional Racial ‘Subjugation’ | ThinkProgress
- "It is much more sinister because it is much more effective. It is much more effective, because it..." ow.ly/2x51TI 2 hours ago
- Postgraduate Training Fellowships — OWSD ow.ly/2x4M0I 3 hours ago
- Seattle's Fragmented Duwamish Tribe Struggles For Identity | KUOW News and Information ow.ly/2x4M0J 3 hours ago
- Sean Penn: Un círculo de corrupción rodea a Evo | Erbol Digital | Erbol Digital ow.ly/2x4M0K 3 hours ago
- "It is much more sinister because it is much more effective. It is much more effective, because it is,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlas87M 3 hours ago