Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight
- Glide — In the Moment: Glide Verifies Ferguson Shooting Recording
- Iowa Legislator Pleads Guilty to Taking Bribes from #RonPaul’s Campaign | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
- Palestinians support resistance in post-Gaza reality
- Reporter Annoyed To Discover He Doesn’t Own Facts; Suggests ‘Global Paywall’ For Reporters Like Himself | Techdirt
- westcoastnativenews - Did the Government of Ontario Lie to Stop a First Nation Elder’s Hunger Strike? ow.ly/2MBdkE 9 hours ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." ow.ly/2MBbLr 9 hours ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSmPHY 10 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan..." ow.ly/2MB4cM 10 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan Heights,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSkJcO 10 hours ago