Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- #GazaUnderAttack | July 30, 2014 | Israel’s Genocide: 1324 Palestinians Killed – In Photos
- Lavon Affair
- Justice Department orders secrecy for files of anti-Iran advocacy group – Boing Boing
- Germany Will Ban Tech Companies That Play Ball With NSA – No federal contracts will go to companies that turn over data to the NSA or other agencies. There may, however, be one crucial exemption ~ News Forage
- Federal review stalled after finding forensic errors by FBI lab unit spanned two decades – The Washington Post
- "If you don’t get murdered by an Israeli missile, you will live your entire life with monstrous..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MzYLde 1 hour ago
- First Nation slams coverup of mercury poisoning report -The Common Sense CanadianThe Common Sense Canadian ow.ly/2KYJak 1 hour ago
- In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier Denis... - In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier D... ow.ly/2KYGY1 1 hour ago
- Photo: In a four-page joint letter, addressed to Premier Denis Napthine, the Attorney General, Leader of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MzO7Xc 1 hour ago
- HEIDEGGERS CHILDREN: The Strange Rebirth of Anglo #Christian Extremism In The West ow.ly/zMfQK #WhiteSupremacy #Fascism #FarRight 1 hour ago