The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Gitmo media blackout hopes to undermine hunger strikers | Al Jazeera America
- Rise of The ‘Angry White Male’: Desperate & Insecure Whites See Years of Unfettered Privilege Slipping Away | PoliticalArticles.NET
- Let us spy: NSA chief pleads with Senate to keep surveillance programs — RT USA
- Beijing bans ‘sensitive topics’ during Mandela funeral coverage | South China Morning Post
- Obama & Holder Win Court Case, Keep Thousands in Prison Under Unfair 80s Crack Sentencing Laws | Black Agenda Report
- UN Declaration on Rights Defenders -- asafeworldforwomen.org - Declaration on the Right and Responsibility... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10ykOIw 2 hours ago
- "In real life, it wasn’t just Margaret Thatcher who branded Mandela a terrorist and resisted sanctions,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10yWGHP 2 hours ago
- The Secret History of How Cuba Helped End Apartheid in South Africa | Democracy Now! ow.ly/2C32Er 3 hours ago
- "His last day with the agency was December 6,” she said. She could not, however, clarify whether he..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10yHksW 3 hours ago
- "Before making the decision, justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhaya heard the appeals of..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10yF0c7 3 hours ago