The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight
- Glide — In the Moment: Glide Verifies Ferguson Shooting Recording
- Iowa Legislator Pleads Guilty to Taking Bribes from #RonPaul’s Campaign | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
- Palestinians support resistance in post-Gaza reality
- Reporter Annoyed To Discover He Doesn’t Own Facts; Suggests ‘Global Paywall’ For Reporters Like Himself | Techdirt
- westcoastnativenews - Did the Government of Ontario Lie to Stop a First Nation Elder’s Hunger Strike? ow.ly/2MBdkE 1 hour ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." ow.ly/2MBbLr 1 hour ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSmPHY 2 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan..." ow.ly/2MB4cM 2 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan Heights,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSkJcO 2 hours ago