The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- The Mismeasurez of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughtz on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives
- Protesters Block Downtown Oil Train Tracks; Legislative Candidate Jess Spear Arrested | Slog
- ‘Accusation drive’ – Indonesia president slams Australia’s gagging order exposed by WikiLeaks — RT News
- Benghazi ‘falls to al-Qaeda-linked rebels’ – Middle East – Al Jazeera English
- CIA Apologizes for Spying on U.S. Senate — Naharnet
- When Victims Become Victimisers: #Zionism #Xenophobia ow.ly/zOFTe #GazaUnderAttack #Genocide #HumanRights #Propaganda 54 minutes ago
- "She posted: “Shocked after police came tonight and took away our sign, showing solidarity with the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N1cYGd 55 minutes ago
- "Why is the Becket Fund expending so much time and money fighting against filling out a form—a..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N1bJre 59 minutes ago
- "The international body also expressed “grave disappointment” that its previous calls for a truce have..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N1ZV0D 1 hour ago
- US condemns shelling of UN school in Gaza but restocks Israeli ammunition | World news | theguardian.com ow.ly/2L1gKR 3 hours ago