The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Article: CIA Interfered With Senate Committee, May Have Violated Constitution | OpEdNews
- US to violate own laws by financially aiding Ukraine’s coup-installed govt – Moscow — RT News
- CIA accused of spying on Congress over torture report — RT USA
- National inventory of hate groups ranks Texas near top, with 8 in Houston – Houston Chronicle
- British convict says he met Bin Laden ‘20 to 50 times’ | GulfNews.com
- "The government paid religious societies to provide education to Native American children on..." ow.ly/2ED4Ky 5 hours ago
- "The government paid religious societies to provide education to Native American children on..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19twT1a 8 hours ago
- "Operation Mockingbird was a secret campaign by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19tkSp- 8 hours ago
- Election 2012: Witnessing the Ron Paul Campaign Humanise the Face of White Supremacist Politics : ow.ly/uurGA 9 hours ago
- Video: Documentary - Lockerbie Bombing (by The Dean) — Lockerbie bombing ‘was work of Iran, not Libya’ says... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19tUEI3 9 hours ago