Zombie PCs also often become spammers themselves, sending out dozens of infected emails to friends, or even people you don’t know – and building the botnets even further, as their criminal masters fade into the background.‘A huge amount of malware is still spread through email attachments,’ says Orla Cox. ‘Although there’s an increase in high-tech methods such as ‘drive-by downloads’, where infected advertising banners and websites are used to spread malicious software, the ‘traditional’ way of spreading infection via spam is still hugely popular.’‘The social engineering is becoming cleverer,’ says Cox. ‘You’ll receive a fake package order, fake invoices – but when you click on the attachment, your computer becomes infected.’Up-to-date protection software and an updated operating system such as Windows will help to defend against such infections before they occur – a much easier way to stay safe than the often-lengthy process of repairing the damage after it occurs.It’s also worth noting that law enforcement won’t treat you as a criminal if you are a victim of this sort of attack. But the best defence of all is, of course, not being a victim in the first place.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- #Genocide denial in #Guatemala - J.B.Gerald ow.ly/2xaeQg 1 hour ago
- Video: Woolwich attack: MI5 ‘offered job to suspect’ says friend (by PlanetEarthAwakens01) tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlqkUtz 1 hour ago
- "Speaking from a café in the shadow of a mosque in an east Lancashire town, just before midday prayers,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlqiWea 1 hour ago
- Q: How do I write to Leonard? A:... - Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee | Facebook - General... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlqV0DG 2 hours ago
- Video: A March Against Monsanto is a March for Life and Freedom - 25th May 2013 (by occupytheseed) tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlqUfwx 2 hours ago