As Mexico has aggressively militarized its “drug war” over the past years, the nation’s capital has been an exception, with authorities reluctant to send soliders to patrol the seat of federal power—until now. Over 1,000 army troops have been mobilized to the streets of Nezahualcóyotl, a suburb of Mexico City, just south of the Federal District line in México state, which has seen a dramatic increase of violence in the past weeks. The México state Prosecutor General says 119 assassinations have been registered so far this year, mostly in Nezahualcóyotl. The decision to send in army troops—under a program dubbed “Operation Neza”—was apparently sparked by the Sept. 16 stabbing death of México state lawmaker Jaime Serrano Cedillo of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Although subsequent reports have indicated he was killed by his wife in a domestic dispute, Serrano was the second PRI politician killed in as many days last week. On Sept. 15, Eduardo Castro Luque, newly elected to the Sonora state legislature, was shot full of nine bullets in front of his home in Ciudad Obregón. The twin slayings came when the country was on high alert for Independence Day celebrations, with extra troops deployed to conflicted states to head off terror attacks on the festivities. The PRI, a once-entrenched political machine, returns to power after 12 years in opposition, when president-elect Enrique Peña Nieto takes office in December. (LAT, AP, Sept. 21; WSJ, El País, Spain, Sept. 20; EFE, AP, La Jornada, Sept. 15)
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Why are American women dying in childbirth? – Features – Al Jazeera English
- Ukraine computers infected by powerful virus – Europe – Al Jazeera English
- Henry Kissinger: To settle the Ukraine crisis, start at the end – The Washington Post
- You Know Who Else Collected Metadata? The Stasi. – ProPublica
- Print Friendly: Kerry’s threats vs Russia unacceptable, West sides with neo-Nazis –Russian FM
- "The ideology of Zionism, which calls for the establishment of a Jewish state, has dictated Israeli..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19a3Byk 10 minutes ago
- World #Jewish Congress calls Svoboda a neo-Nazi party | Ukrinform ow.ly/unPsG #Ukraine #Kiev #Fascism 38 minutes ago
- "The residents said Israel’s water company Gihon started by gradually reducing the water supply nearly..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19Zjf5j 1 hour ago
- If U want 2 discuss the neo-Nazi problem in #Ukraine 4thWorldRadyo is taking calls via Skype: 'aboriginalnewsgroup' ow.ly/unNO6 1 hour ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo ow.ly/unNsT The original #Indigenist Newswire 1 hour ago