President Francois Hollande denounced Le Pen’s comments, saying, according to AFP, “Everything that tears people apart, opposes them and divides them is inappropriate, and we must apply the rules, the only rules that we know, the rules of the Republic and secularism.” Jean-Francois Cope, who leads the right-wing UMP party of former president Nicolas Sarkozy, said Le Pen showed little understanding of France’s much-vaunted secular traditions. “Marine Le Pen wants to ban any signs of religion on the street, starting with the veil and the kippah,” AFP quoted him as having said. “By doing this, she shows she understands nothing of secularism. Secularism is not the eradication of all religious expressions in society.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- #GazaUnderAttack | July 30, 2014 | Israel’s Genocide: 1324 Palestinians Killed – In Photos
- Lavon Affair
- Justice Department orders secrecy for files of anti-Iran advocacy group – Boing Boing
- Germany Will Ban Tech Companies That Play Ball With NSA – No federal contracts will go to companies that turn over data to the NSA or other agencies. There may, however, be one crucial exemption ~ News Forage
- Federal review stalled after finding forensic errors by FBI lab unit spanned two decades – The Washington Post
- Old Time Farm Crime: The Banana Massacre - Modern Farmer ow.ly/2KX986 2 hours ago
- Israel/Gaza: Attack on UN school in Gaza a potential war crime that must be investigated | Amnesty International ow.ly/2KX982 2 hours ago
- "Since 2010 the UN has been dodging responsibility for a cholera outbreak that has killed 8,500..." ow.ly/2KX4Yw 3 hours ago
- "Since 2010 the UN has been dodging responsibility for a cholera outbreak that has killed 8,500..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MwUck9 3 hours ago
- "Responding to a question of an STV reporter regarding concerns over lack of LGBTI rights in Zambia,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MwUXS1 3 hours ago