According to Globo, Google executive Fabio José Silva Coelho has been arrested by federal police in Brazil, after the company refused a judge’s order to remove a controversial political video from YouTube. Judge Flavio Peren ordered Coelho’s arrest for violating Brazil’s election laws, which prohibits attack ads that defame candidates in the lead-up to an election. As Reuters reports, a Google spokesperson says that the company is appealing the decision “because, as a platform, Google is not responsible for the content posted to its site.” We are still waiting for Google to respond to our own inquiry about the arrest, but the company has made similar arguments in the past when confronted with local interpretations of free speech.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Why isn't it hate speech if it's about women?
- Police tap social media in wake of London attack – Strategy – Business – News – iTnews.com.au
- INTERNATIONAL – Muslim religious leaders deliver emotional prayer at Auschwitz for Holocaust dead
- Tornadoes Have Devastated American Indian Families in Oklahoma NEED HELP
- Sign reclaiming traditional name Pkols for Mount Douglas will stay for now – National – Times Colonist
- Two more Angels of Woolwich revealed: Mother and daughter comforted murdered soldier in his final moments because ... ow.ly/2x8Xxc 16 hours ago
- Right-Wing Nationalists Rev Up For Anti-Muslim Weekend Action in UK - Vocativ ow.ly/2x8PsR 17 hours ago
- Two more Angels of Woolwich revealed: Mother and daughter comforted murdered soldier in his final moments... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwllOFc_ 17 hours ago
- Google map of all attacks on Mosques since Woolwich tmblr.co/Zu0CAwllO34C 17 hours ago
- PEACE BE UPON YOU: MCB Leads a Delegation of Community Leaders to Pay Respects After Woolwich Attack -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwllNoiH 18 hours ago