According to Globo, Google executive Fabio José Silva Coelho has been arrested by federal police in Brazil, after the company refused a judge’s order to remove a controversial political video from YouTube. Judge Flavio Peren ordered Coelho’s arrest for violating Brazil’s election laws, which prohibits attack ads that defame candidates in the lead-up to an election. As Reuters reports, a Google spokesperson says that the company is appealing the decision “because, as a platform, Google is not responsible for the content posted to its site.” We are still waiting for Google to respond to our own inquiry about the arrest, but the company has made similar arguments in the past when confronted with local interpretations of free speech.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- "Other Palestinians, including a doctor, even offered advice via Twitter to the protesters in..." ow.ly/2Mf1JT 2 hours ago
- ""This parade through the mainly nationalist village of Rasharkin breached Parades Commission rulings..." ow.ly/2MeTYI 3 hours ago
- "Other Palestinians, including a doctor, even offered advice via Twitter to the protesters in Ferguson..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OxkkJu 3 hours ago
- ""This parade through the mainly nationalist village of Rasharkin breached Parades Commission rulings..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OxhTxj 3 hours ago
- Call For Independent Inquiry of the Airplane Crash in Ukraine and its Catastrophic Aftermath | RootsAction ow.ly/2MdRTp 9 hours ago