Some days before the crackdown on “illegal gatherings” and weapons in Marikana during the strike last month, colleagues and I watched wave after wave of striking mine workers, resolute in their demands and jubilant in their songs that eulogised the man in the green blanket, Amabubhesi. The town had been brought to a standstill as strikers marched back from one of Lonmin’s shafts to Wonderkop. As group after group passed through the town under the watchful eyes of a hefty police contingent, a colleague pointed out that the march was actually an illegal gathering. “If the police really wanted to, they could just arrest all these guys for illegal protests,” he volunteered.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- We Must Address Racial Disparity In Police Shootings | The National Memo ow.ly/2PvMeh 1 hour ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform..." ow.ly/2PvKGS 1 hour ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform people of..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TnhE-d 1 hour ago
- Mismeasures of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives ow.ly/Dbzbe 1 hour ago
- Photoset: black-culture: Mike Brown Official Autopsy Report Leaked. Must read. #Ferguson tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Tnab6R 2 hours ago