Some days before the crackdown on “illegal gatherings” and weapons in Marikana during the strike last month, colleagues and I watched wave after wave of striking mine workers, resolute in their demands and jubilant in their songs that eulogised the man in the green blanket, Amabubhesi. The town had been brought to a standstill as strikers marched back from one of Lonmin’s shafts to Wonderkop. As group after group passed through the town under the watchful eyes of a hefty police contingent, a colleague pointed out that the march was actually an illegal gathering. “If the police really wanted to, they could just arrest all these guys for illegal protests,” he volunteered.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- This Installation’s Approach Towards Public Surveillance Data? Shred Everything | The Creators Project
- ISIS executions go viral; Nusra attacks Golan | World War 4 Report
- US/NATO: Heirs to the Nazi Germany’s script for Ukraine — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- Australian jihadist who tweeted gruesome photo has long history of mental illness – The Washington Post
- Senate hearing to examine militarization of local and state police in Ferguson | Washington Watch | McClatchy DC
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons : 'Articles of the Chemical Weapons Convention' ow.ly/ASUbP 3 hours ago
- Chemical Weapons Convention | Facing Tear Gas ow.ly/ASKlJ 7 hours ago
- Police officers who shot Indian teen get medals by Brandon Ecoffey* | Last Real Indians ow.ly/2MDz7m 11 hours ago
- "And so deciding whether sharing, or even watching, a video of a criminal act, created as a..." ow.ly/2MDxja 12 hours ago
- ""We know all too well that justice delayed is justice denied," said George Rutherford with the..." ow.ly/2MDnub 13 hours ago