2/10/2012- The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatoviæ, commended today the decision by the Verkhovna Rada (the parliament) of Ukraine to reject re-criminalization of defamation. “I welcome the fact that Ukrainian legislators took note of the concerns of civil society and the media community and decided not to adopt the amendment to re-establish criminal liability for defamation,” said Mijatoviæ. In September, Mijatoviæ expressed her concern over the adoption by the Rada in the first reading of the draft law reintroducing criminal liability for libel. She said this draft legislation, if adopted, would be a serious setback for media freedom. “I have always urged OSCE participating States to decriminalize defamation and protect journalists from criminal prosecution.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Police commissioner defends raid decisions
- Why Are Republicans So Riled Up About Obama’s Justice Department Reading a Reporter’s E-mails When They Cheered the Bush Administration For Doing the Same Thing? | Vanity Fair
- Wanting To Be Indian
- Obama Administration Admits Drone Attacks Killed 4 US Citizens | Common Dreams
- Soldier murdered in Woolwich
- "The IRR has, since 1991, been documenting murders with a suspected or known racial element.* This page..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldz77U 1 hour ago
- "How am I going to pay for my defence?” Const. Dameian Muirhead said Wednesday, shortly after he got the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldy51U 1 hour ago
- Muslim religious leaders perform prayer in Nazi camp | Europe | World Bulletin ow.ly/2x5JKe 1 hour ago
- The Himalayan Times : Shut down to protest Haque's killing - Detail News : Nepal News Portal ow.ly/2x5JKf 1 hour ago
- "Certain things have got lost,” said Redford. “Our belief system had holes punched in it by scandals..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlduEMJ 1 hour ago