2/10/2012- The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatoviæ, commended today the decision by the Verkhovna Rada (the parliament) of Ukraine to reject re-criminalization of defamation. “I welcome the fact that Ukrainian legislators took note of the concerns of civil society and the media community and decided not to adopt the amendment to re-establish criminal liability for defamation,” said Mijatoviæ. In September, Mijatoviæ expressed her concern over the adoption by the Rada in the first reading of the draft law reintroducing criminal liability for libel. She said this draft legislation, if adopted, would be a serious setback for media freedom. “I have always urged OSCE participating States to decriminalize defamation and protect journalists from criminal prosecution.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Canada’s hidden tale of shame: Goar | Toronto Star
- The Split in Fanmi Lavalas:How and Why It Came About, and What It Portends
- Man jailed for republican rioting – UTV Live News
- First Nations schools need a bigger boost, economist to warn chiefs – The Globe and Mail
- ALEC Members Refuse to Sign a Pledge Supporting Democracy
- Events | ACLU of Massachusetts ow.ly/2C2Dyr 34 minutes ago
- First Nations schools need a bigger boost, economist to warn chiefs - The Globe and Mail ow.ly/2C2Dyq 34 minutes ago
- "First Nations are taking action on three fronts: They want a legal acknowledgment that the Crown..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10wcnKj 1 hour ago
- "Wednesday, December 11th 12:30 pm Amazon Watch / CIEL conference room 1350 Connecticut Ave. NW #1100..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10wcEGS 1 hour ago
- "In five of these countries — Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, Sudan — plus parts of Nigeria and..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10waTXz 1 hour ago