The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Fox News paid fired executive $8 Million to keep quiet about the network | FreakOutNation
- Elsipogtog woman claims she faced RCMP intimidation over plans to file complaint | APTN National NewsAPTN National News
- Antigua And Barbuda Observes CARICOM-Cuba Day 2013
- Cambodia: Drug Centers Detain, Abuse 'Undesirables'
- SOPAC continues to promote experimental seabed mining
- Photo: diasporadash: savage-america: A Pilgrimage to Sorte Mountain - The New York Times Devotees of the... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10n_gFf 14 minutes ago
- Regulators set to OK rules to limit financial risk-taking - breakingnews: New York Times: Federal... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10n_XYA 14 minutes ago
- alt-j: why white people care more about assumptions and generalizations that they are racist than actual... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10n_NDG 15 minutes ago
- Photo: thepeoplesrecord: 18 US Veterans Kill Themselves Each Day | Democracy Now September 5, 2012 The... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10n_4LC 16 minutes ago
- Afro-Mexicans Demand Answers in Response to Death of Malcolm Latif Shabazz - It’s been three months since... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10nzwbI 16 minutes ago