The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Not Writing History | The Americas Blog
- New revelations of US government spying on the press – World Socialist Web Site
- Juan Cole: Revenge of the Bear: Russia Strikes Back in Syria – Juan Cole’s Columns – Truthdig
- How the Government Targeted Occupy – In These Times
- Dow Jones: Toll Rises to 17 in Indonesia's Worst Mine Disaster, 11 Missing; Unions Demand Shutdown Continue
- [TW: Torture, sexual violence]: Revised Guantanamo force-feed policy exposed - queeraztlan: Al Jazeera’s... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWw9bG 52 minutes ago
- Mali government to resume talks with Tuaregs - autrespays: Talks will resume soon between the Malian... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWvzFb 52 minutes ago
- Mali government to resume talks with Tuaregs - autrespays: Talks will resume soon between the Malian... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWvmAJ 53 minutes ago
- Al Jazeera deletes its own controversial Op-Ed, then refuses to comment - Glenn Greenwald: The bizarre... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWvblH 53 minutes ago
- Photo: assholeofday: Asshole of the Day for May 21, 2013: Tom Coburn With a disaster as large as the... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlWsFb5 1 hour ago