The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- CIA accused of spying on Congress over torture report — RT USA
- National inventory of hate groups ranks Texas near top, with 8 in Houston – Houston Chronicle
- British convict says he met Bin Laden ‘20 to 50 times’ | GulfNews.com
- Experian Lapse Allowed ID Theft Service Access to 200 Million Consumer Records — Krebs on Security
- Federal Official Declares That Anyone Who Speaks Out Against Lie Detector Tests Should Be Criminally Investigated | Techdirt
- "Volunteers from self-defense units are taking an oath of allegiance to the people of Crimea as the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qgaJb 1 hour ago
- Photoset: 5centsapound: Sue Williamson: A Few South Africans (1984) Made at a time when South Africa was... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qbN_Y 1 hour ago
- rscspokenword: the-red-planet: faerieclara: i’ll like neil degrasse tyson the day he apologizes for this... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qbF4P 1 hour ago
- "One man said that the QQ account of his brother-in-law showed him as online, but frustratingly for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qXL1R 1 hour ago
- Passenger With Stolen Passport Had No Terror Ties, Police Say - coolyeahanisk: One of the passengers who... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19qUliD 2 hours ago