The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- ‘Accusation drive’ – Indonesia president slams Australia’s gagging order exposed by WikiLeaks — RT News
- Benghazi ‘falls to al-Qaeda-linked rebels’ – Middle East – Al Jazeera English
- CIA Apologizes for Spying on U.S. Senate — Naharnet
- PressTV – I killed 13 Palestinian kids today: Israeli sniper
- FFC planning to launch new peaceful Flotilla to challenge the blockade on Gaza
- US condemns shelling of UN school in Gaza but restocks Israeli ammunition | World news | theguardian.com ow.ly/2L1gKR 1 hour ago
- Drug-resistant malaria spreading fast in Southeast Asia - Channel NewsAsia ow.ly/2L1gKQ 1 hour ago
- Israel Tells Hamas: You Can Keep Your Rockets - The Daily Beast ow.ly/2L1gKP 1 hour ago
- "In a letter to President Obama on Tuesday, Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) referred to what he called..." ow.ly/2L12E5 2 hours ago
- "In a letter to President Obama on Tuesday, Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) referred to what he called..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1N0TA9r 2 hours ago