All four officers pleaded not guilty during their first appearance in court Tuesday.Officer Michael Vagnini, 34, an eight-year veteran, was responsible for the most egregious misconduct, prosecutors said, and he faces the most serious charges, including second-degree sexual assault.Vagnini faces 25 counts over allegations that he repeatedly broke the law by rectally probing suspects after traffic stops, at times without using protective gloves, while searching for drugs. Wisconsin state law mandates that only trained medical personnel can perform body cavity searches on criminal suspects. Vagnini also allegedly forced suspects to strip naked after their arrest without authorization.The other officers charged in the complaint allegedly assisted Vagnini in the illegal searches and failed to intervene or report the misconduct. In one alleged incident, one officer placed a suspect in a choke hold, while another held a gun to the suspects head, as Vagnini conducted an unauthorized rectal search on a public street.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- More police departments considering the use of drones – baltimoresun.com
- How the US’s terrorism watchlists work – and how you could end up on one | World news | theguardian.com
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- September 1-30, 2014: VIRTUAL ACTION EVENT 4 LEONARD PELTIER’S 70th BIRTHDAY
- This Installation’s Approach Towards Public Surveillance Data? Shred Everything | The Creators Project
- Stop Law Enforcement Violence Toolkit | incite-national.org ow.ly/2MKEZx 4 hours ago
- "When I think about Women’s Equality Day, I reflect on the power and significance of Black women..." ow.ly/2MKuNK 5 hours ago
- Stop Law Enforcement Violence Toolkit | incite-national.org ow.ly/AXjxm #BlackTwitter 6 hours ago
- "When I think about Women’s Equality Day, I reflect on the power and significance of Black women..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Pmo2iG 6 hours ago
- Israel extends detention of Palestinian for Facebook posts | Maan News Agency ow.ly/2MKnzk 6 hours ago