ASIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION – URGENT APPEALS PROGRAMMEUrgent Appeal Case: AHRC-UAC-185-2012The Asian Human Rights Commission AHRC has received the information regarding the arbitrary arrest of five Papuan activists in Jayapura, Papua on 12 October 2012. The five activists were arrested on the allegation of involvement in importing or distributing explosive materials. The police did not have any evidence to arrest and detain them and they were later released. The police, however, copied several documents belonging to the activists related to their political movement.CASE NARRATIVE:According to the information we obtained from Yasons Sambom himself, he and his friends Denny Hisage, Anike Kogoya, Feliks Bahabol and Linus Bahabol were on their way to Nabire by the Lapobar ship when the police arrested them at around 9.20pm. They were initially put under the custody of the Sea Harbour Security Execution Unit KP3 Laut Jayapura before being moved to the Papua Regional Police Station at around 11-12pm for interrogation. The interrogation of some of the activists started at 1am on the next day and lasted until 4am whereas the remainder were questioned from 2.30am until 6am. It is not until 11 on 13 October 2012 that the five activists were released. None of the activists were given the opportunity to contact any legal counsel to accompany them during the questioning
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Article: CIA Interfered With Senate Committee, May Have Violated Constitution | OpEdNews
- US to violate own laws by financially aiding Ukraine’s coup-installed govt – Moscow — RT News
- CIA accused of spying on Congress over torture report — RT USA
- National inventory of hate groups ranks Texas near top, with 8 in Houston – Houston Chronicle
- British convict says he met Bin Laden ‘20 to 50 times’ | GulfNews.com
- "The government paid religious societies to provide education to Native American children on..." ow.ly/2ED4Ky 7 hours ago
- "The government paid religious societies to provide education to Native American children on..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19twT1a 10 hours ago
- "Operation Mockingbird was a secret campaign by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19tkSp- 10 hours ago
- Election 2012: Witnessing the Ron Paul Campaign Humanise the Face of White Supremacist Politics : ow.ly/uurGA 11 hours ago
- Video: Documentary - Lockerbie Bombing (by The Dean) — Lockerbie bombing ‘was work of Iran, not Libya’ says... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19tUEI3 11 hours ago