ASIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION – URGENT APPEALS PROGRAMMEUrgent Appeal Case: AHRC-UAC-185-2012The Asian Human Rights Commission AHRC has received the information regarding the arbitrary arrest of five Papuan activists in Jayapura, Papua on 12 October 2012. The five activists were arrested on the allegation of involvement in importing or distributing explosive materials. The police did not have any evidence to arrest and detain them and they were later released. The police, however, copied several documents belonging to the activists related to their political movement.CASE NARRATIVE:According to the information we obtained from Yasons Sambom himself, he and his friends Denny Hisage, Anike Kogoya, Feliks Bahabol and Linus Bahabol were on their way to Nabire by the Lapobar ship when the police arrested them at around 9.20pm. They were initially put under the custody of the Sea Harbour Security Execution Unit KP3 Laut Jayapura before being moved to the Papua Regional Police Station at around 11-12pm for interrogation. The interrogation of some of the activists started at 1am on the next day and lasted until 4am whereas the remainder were questioned from 2.30am until 6am. It is not until 11 on 13 October 2012 that the five activists were released. None of the activists were given the opportunity to contact any legal counsel to accompany them during the questioning
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- California prison system agrees to end racial segregation — RT USA
- US decides against military tribunals for non-Guantánamo detainees | US news | theguardian.com
- TASS: World – WHO “reasonably confident” Ebola has not spread beyond West Africa
- Michael Brown smeared in United States media
- Lonko Juana Cuante de visita en Europa
- Australia: Aboriginal man dies in Casuarina Prison as hundreds rally around WA to protest deaths in custody | Warr... ow.ly/2PAa8w 11 hours ago
- "All Christians and people of good will are thus called today to struggle not only for abolition of..." ow.ly/2PA6nW 11 hours ago
- "All Christians and people of good will are thus called today to struggle not only for abolition of the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TtPTBI 11 hours ago
- Confirmed: 39 women illegally sterilized in California prisons — RT USA ow.ly/DfIMR #Genocide #HumanRights 12 hours ago
- TASS: World - Dozens of Poles protest in Warsaw against glorification of fascism in Ukraine ow.ly/2PzUea 12 hours ago