ASIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION – URGENT APPEALS PROGRAMMEUrgent Appeal Case: AHRC-UAC-185-2012The Asian Human Rights Commission AHRC has received the information regarding the arbitrary arrest of five Papuan activists in Jayapura, Papua on 12 October 2012. The five activists were arrested on the allegation of involvement in importing or distributing explosive materials. The police did not have any evidence to arrest and detain them and they were later released. The police, however, copied several documents belonging to the activists related to their political movement.CASE NARRATIVE:According to the information we obtained from Yasons Sambom himself, he and his friends Denny Hisage, Anike Kogoya, Feliks Bahabol and Linus Bahabol were on their way to Nabire by the Lapobar ship when the police arrested them at around 9.20pm. They were initially put under the custody of the Sea Harbour Security Execution Unit KP3 Laut Jayapura before being moved to the Papua Regional Police Station at around 11-12pm for interrogation. The interrogation of some of the activists started at 1am on the next day and lasted until 4am whereas the remainder were questioned from 2.30am until 6am. It is not until 11 on 13 October 2012 that the five activists were released. None of the activists were given the opportunity to contact any legal counsel to accompany them during the questioning
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Why Are Republicans So Riled Up About Obama’s Justice Department Reading a Reporter’s E-mails When They Cheered the Bush Administration For Doing the Same Thing? | Vanity Fair
- Wanting To Be Indian
- Obama Administration Admits Drone Attacks Killed 4 US Citizens | Common Dreams
- Soldier murdered in Woolwich
- US Congress H Rights Commission Hearing on Indonesia / West Papua streaming online.
- "This is a form of low-grade terrorism, and this is meant to terrorize people who have been victims of violence" ow.ly/2x5CiG 1 hour ago
- "This is a form of low-grade terrorism, and this is meant to terrorize people who have been victims of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldX-ip 1 hour ago
- "MILWAUKIE, Ore. – A neighborhood was blanketed with racist fliers on Thursday and people there say they..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldXayc 1 hour ago
- Ah, perish motherland!: A Sequel to Senselessness: Fiction and Genocide in Guatemala - perishmotherland:... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldVkpH 1 hour ago
- French Nationalist Commits Suicide, May 21st 2013 - chrissyskellington: Dominique Venner killed himself... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwldVf9E 1 hour ago