By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Swiss clocks tick past banks’ deadline to disclose hidden assets to US — RT Business
- Drone Survivors Speak at Congressional Briefing Called by Rep. Grayson – YouTube
- Fox News paid fired executive $8 Million to keep quiet about the network | FreakOutNation
- Elsipogtog woman claims she faced RCMP intimidation over plans to file complaint | APTN National NewsAPTN National News
- Antigua And Barbuda Observes CARICOM-Cuba Day 2013
- 4thWorldRadyo: Remembering #Mandela in an Age of Neoliberal Imperialism & Colonial Violence ow.ly/rC5R6 / ow.ly/rC5SM 12 hours ago
- Video: CNN coverage of Congressional briefing for drone strike survivors (by bravenewfoundation) — CNN... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10o3l7j 12 hours ago
- Video: Sometimes Cops Find Your Stolen Car. Sometimes Cops Stole It. (by bravenewfoundation) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10o3MN1 12 hours ago
- Photo: fuckyeahmarxismleninism: Let us honor the memory of Nelson Mandela as part of a collective struggle.... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10o1W6f 12 hours ago
- Photo: descentintotyranny: Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal Dec. 8 2013... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10o13Ab 12 hours ago