By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- CIA accused of spying on Congress over torture report — RT USA
- National inventory of hate groups ranks Texas near top, with 8 in Houston – Houston Chronicle
- British convict says he met Bin Laden ‘20 to 50 times’ | GulfNews.com
- Experian Lapse Allowed ID Theft Service Access to 200 Million Consumer Records — Krebs on Security
- Federal Official Declares That Anyone Who Speaks Out Against Lie Detector Tests Should Be Criminally Investigated | Techdirt
- "One of the four persons originally held was released unconditionally Saturday, while three were held..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19s9LCI 33 minutes ago
- "Volunteers from self-defense units are taking an oath of allegiance to the people of Crimea as the..." ow.ly/2ECro8 38 minutes ago
- If U want 2 discuss the neo-Nazi problem in #Ukraine 4thWorldRadyo is taking calls via Skype: 'aboriginalnewsgroup' ow.ly/uu41H 41 minutes ago
- #Tyendinaga rail blockade leads to 3 arrests | Warrior Publications ow.ly/utYHO #IdleNoMore #FirstNations 1 hour ago
- Video: Histoire du Québec 32 - La Crise d’Oka 1990 (by Patriote17) — La crise d’Oka est une crise politique... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw19rvik3 1 hour ago