By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- You’ve Got Mail: Judge Grants Feds Unrestricted Access To Gmail Account
- cryptogon.com » Only U.S. Votes Against Resolution to Investigate Latest Round of Israeli Atrocities
- Troubling new video shows excessive force was ordered at Denver jail | The Colorado Independent
- Boko Haram kidnaps wife of vice prime minister in Cameroon | Al Jazeera America
- Article: The NSA’s New Partner in Spying: Saudi Arabia’s Brutal State Police | OpEdNews
- "Some 1,129 people have been killed and nearly 3,500 wounded in eastern Ukraine since the start of..." ow.ly/2KPnhN 14 minutes ago
- "Some 1,129 people have been killed and nearly 3,500 wounded in eastern Ukraine since the start of the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MklI_4 50 minutes ago
- Socialistas venezolanos debaten el futuro del proceso bolivariano › Mundo › Granma - �rgano oficial de... ow.ly/2KPeKX 1 hour ago
- Professor Ilan Pappe: Israel Has Chosen To Be A "Racist Apartheid State" With U.S. Support | Democracy Now! ow.ly/2KPeKV 1 hour ago
- Violence in #Gaza unthinkable: H.H. the #DalaiLama of #Tibet ow.ly/zFzzV #GazaUnderAttack 1 hour ago