By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- The Supreme Court Decided Your Silence Can Be Used Against You – Alexander Abad-Santos – The Atlantic Wire
- ‘A Political Ploy’? The Guardian Editors Swallow US Claims On Syrian WMD | Global Research
- Peace pact with MILF possible in 5 weeks, says gov’t negotiator | Inquirer News
- Professors criticize Obama's speech - OrlandoSentinel.com
- Guatemala: Survivors Reluctant To Testify In New Genocide Trial – Indigenous Peoples Issues and Resources
- "LEGISREPORTS NG – Senator Claire McCaskill has thrown in her support for former US secretary of..." ow.ly/2xGZMj 2 hours ago
- Friends and relatives, please use the... - INM: Indigenous Nationhood Movement | Facebook ow.ly/2xGO1e 4 hours ago
- Court orders end to Cambridge jail overcrowding | ACLU of Massachusetts ow.ly/2xGO1d 4 hours ago
- Court orders end to Cambridge jail overcrowding | ACLU of Massachusetts ow.ly/2xGO1c 4 hours ago
- "LEGISREPORTS NG – Senator Claire McCaskill has thrown in her support for former US secretary of state,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAwne74Cg 4 hours ago