By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Australia’s Attorney-General: Data Retention Is ‘Very Much The Way In Which Western Nations Are Going’ | Techdirt
- UN: South Sudan arms embargo crucial after massive Chinese weapons transfer | Amnesty International USA
- Hillary Clinton’s Bizarre Critique of U.S. Foreign Policy – Peter Beinart – The Atlantic
- SARE ANTIFAXISTA: La Guardia Civil asegura que la organización nazi-fascista vendía armas
- IDF Begins Ground Surge Into Occupied Palestine | APNS Novaĵagentejo
- "As the Israelis once more inflict collective punishment in Gaza (a tactic which happens to..." ow.ly/2KjTqu 6 days ago
- IDF Begins Ground Surge Into Occupied Palestine ow.ly/2KjOle 6 days ago
- The Dine’ for Sanctions Against Israel held a... - The Dine’ for Sanctions Against Israel held a d... ow.ly/2KjLDg 6 days ago
- "As the Israelis once more inflict collective punishment in Gaza (a tactic which happens to constitute..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1LmOGdM 6 days ago
- "17\7\2014 - 230 Martyrs and 1960 wounded in the continues war on Gaza, more than 40% of them are..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1LmNirW 6 days ago