If you’re looking for evidence of how stupid and racist American imperialism can make you, look no further than the MANIFEST DESTINY T-shirt that was released by the Gap. The designer Mark McNairy thought he was taking a political ideology of imperial empowerment and reclaiming it as a personal improvement slogan. Don’t know what Manifest Destiny is? … Then consider this to be a teachable moment for you… The question is, is it possible for white people to go all through their lives and not know that touting the benefits of Manifest Destiny is not a good thing? It would seem so… But when you analyze it further it sadly doesn’t seem that far-fetched. When i think about on my own schooling i remember how American imperialism was buffed to a shine so that it became easy to gloss over, slavery, women’s suffrage, the labor struggles of the late 19th and early 20th century, and the civil rights era, just to name a few things that come to mind. So the fact that Mark McNairy came out of Junior High School thinking that Manifest Destiny was a positive ideology is not that far off.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- LISTEN: Alleged Kansas Gunman Frazier Glenn Miller Discusses the Tea Party, Obama, and Ron Paul | Mother Jones
- Report indicates that US aligned regimes are preparing for war — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- Saudi princesses tortured for protesting regime’s anti-women policy
- Bringing Gunz To Protest Ralliez and Other Thingz You Can Only Get Away With If You’re White
- Food Banks: Geordie Greig’s Duranty Journalism
- "The point here is well taken: there certainly is racial animus at work. But it’s not just..." ow.ly/2FRKhm 5 hours ago
- "The point here is well taken: there certainly is racial animus at work. But it’s not just towards poor..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Df-vqw 6 hours ago
- "Socialism, though, was only the latest attempt to grapple with a deeper problem. With the lonely..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Dfx_QH 6 hours ago
- Indianz.Com > Western Shoshone man sues BLM for $30M in grazing fee fight ow.ly/2FRJ4a 6 hours ago
- "In Bengkulu, the wife of a failed candidate used the Koran to force people to admit to accepting money..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Dfk3A5 6 hours ago