If you’re looking for evidence of how stupid and racist American imperialism can make you, look no further than the MANIFEST DESTINY T-shirt that was released by the Gap. The designer Mark McNairy thought he was taking a political ideology of imperial empowerment and reclaiming it as a personal improvement slogan. Don’t know what Manifest Destiny is? … Then consider this to be a teachable moment for you… The question is, is it possible for white people to go all through their lives and not know that touting the benefits of Manifest Destiny is not a good thing? It would seem so… But when you analyze it further it sadly doesn’t seem that far-fetched. When i think about on my own schooling i remember how American imperialism was buffed to a shine so that it became easy to gloss over, slavery, women’s suffrage, the labor struggles of the late 19th and early 20th century, and the civil rights era, just to name a few things that come to mind. So the fact that Mark McNairy came out of Junior High School thinking that Manifest Destiny was a positive ideology is not that far off.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- "The disclosure that the NSA agreed to provide raw intelligence data to a foreign country contrasts..." ow.ly/2NEm51 26 minutes ago
- "The disclosure that the NSA agreed to provide raw intelligence data to a foreign country contrasts..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R1lVbG 48 minutes ago
- "West Africa Region accounts for a third of the world’s new oil discoveries, especially in the..." ow.ly/2NE8Nb 1 hour ago
- "West Africa Region accounts for a third of the world’s new oil discoveries, especially in the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R1WSTQ 1 hour ago
- "History is almost always written by the winners, and world maps are mostly drawn with the blood of the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R1VsWl 2 hours ago