The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- millennialau: We need you to donate to the bail fund. Cops want... ow.ly/2OpZmA 12 hours ago
- Photoset: millennialau: We need you to donate to the bail fund. Cops want it depleted. Make sure it’s not! tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R-NEzz 13 hours ago
- Photo: mediamattersforamerica: A Veteran Describes How The Right-Wing Media’s Misogyny Comes At A High Cost... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R-MbJA 13 hours ago
- Brother of slain shopkeeper sorry he helped bring him from Korea to Chicago - Chicago Sun-Times -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R-MWOF 13 hours ago
- Photo: rtamerica: Children-paralyzing virus spreads across 40 states Several hundred US kids are being... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1R-MEkj 13 hours ago