The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- GOP Senate would be intel ally – By BURGESS EVERETT | 10/23/14 4:30 PM EDT Updated: 10/23/14 5:06 PM EDT
- Malaysia’s Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim Awaits Sodomy Appeal Verdict
- Mum Shoplifted To Feed Family After ESA Stopped
- The thuggification of young black victims of white violence: Is thug the new n—-r?
- Verdacht auf Selbstjustiz – Hildburghäuser sollen Rumänen gejagt haben
- A tiny town in Michigan will sell you a police badge and gun permit - Salon.com ow.ly/2PEk2z 9 hours ago
- #Ferguson: ow.ly/DjHla 9 hours ago
- Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ow.ly/DjE16 10 hours ago
- jessehimself: KING TUT The Boy Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt is... ow.ly/2PEcku 10 hours ago
- The Consortium: Who Killed Martin Luther King? ow.ly/DjAHD #MLK 11 hours ago