The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- C.I.A. TIE REPORTED IN MANDELA ARREST – New York Times
- Mandela, the man once branded a ‘terrorist’ by the U.S. – Al Arabiya News
- | RIP: South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies in Johannesburg!
- FAO: Latin America and Caribbean Countries Lead the World in Hunger Reduction
- RCMP security for SWN frackers to top $4 million
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'Thanks-Taking & the Progressive Stupidity of the Political Left' / ow.ly/rwHod #Redskin #Propaganda 48 minutes ago
- "‘The Natives you’ve known to be sympathetic to the cause are probably ones who’ve experienced..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10PYGSS 13 hours ago
- ABORIGINAL NEWS GROUP STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF NELSON MANDELA (MADIBA) ow.ly/2BXAQc 14 hours ago
- ABORIGINAL NEWS GROUP STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF NELSON MANDELA (MADIBA) | APNS Int. ow.ly/rvnQ0 14 hours ago
- ABORIGINAL NEWS GROUP STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF NELSON MANDELA (MADIBA) | APNS Int. - FOR IMMEDIATE... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10P2Fr_ 15 hours ago