California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight
- Glide — In the Moment: Glide Verifies Ferguson Shooting Recording
- Iowa Legislator Pleads Guilty to Taking Bribes from #RonPaul’s Campaign | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
- Palestinians support resistance in post-Gaza reality
- Reporter Annoyed To Discover He Doesn’t Own Facts; Suggests ‘Global Paywall’ For Reporters Like Himself | Techdirt
- westcoastnativenews - Did the Government of Ontario Lie to Stop a First Nation Elder’s Hunger Strike? ow.ly/2MBdkE 3 hours ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." ow.ly/2MBbLr 3 hours ago
- "“Oswald may have been a petty informer for the Bureau, receiving small sums of money in return for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSmPHY 4 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan..." ow.ly/2MB4cM 4 hours ago
- "Forty-three United Nations peacekeepers have been captured by armed militant forces in Golan Heights,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PSkJcO 4 hours ago