California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Cop Beats Schizophrenic Man to Death on Video, Faces 15 Years in Prison | The Free Thought Project
- White House reverses story on Obama living with Kenyan uncle in the 1980s – NBC Politics
- White House admits lying about Obama meeting Kenyan uncle – National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
- Remembering the Montreal Massacre on campus: Problems and possibilities in 2013 | rabble.ca
- Six Things Nelson Mandela Believed That Most People Won’t Talk About | ThinkProgress
- Former KKK leader David Duke kicked out of Italy over his ‘socially dangerous racist views’ | FreakOutNati... ow.ly/2BYhBU 2 days ago
- "on July 19th, 1984, Dunnes Stores worker Mary Manning refused to check out a customer’s South African..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UWj10 2 days ago
- The #Genocide You Never Knew About - PolicyMic ow.ly/rxp9z 2 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'Thanks-Taking & the Progressive Stupidity of the Political Left' / ow.ly/rxoWJ #Redskin #Propaganda 2 days ago
- "Slavery had been invented. It soon became the dominant form of production among all peoples who were..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UPg4P 2 days ago