California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Vonderrit Myers’ family releases autopsy, lawyers say findings conflict with police reports – St. Louis American: Local News
- ALERT! Mumia & Movement Are Under Attack: TAKE A STAND 10/21 -12/22
- US Police Corrupted By Mexico’s Cartels Along Border
- GOP Senate would be intel ally – By BURGESS EVERETT | 10/23/14 4:30 PM EDT Updated: 10/23/14 5:06 PM EDT
- Malaysia’s Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim Awaits Sodomy Appeal Verdict
- Archivo de destaques individuales : CMI-PR - Archivo de destaques individuales : CMI-PR - 1) En todo el mundo, per... ow.ly/2PFXlW 6 hours ago
- I CARE - - British man gets jail time for sending lawmaker anti-Semitic tweet ow.ly/2PFXlV 6 hours ago
- Blackwater Founder Remains Free and Rich While His Former Employees Go Down on Murder Charges - The Intercept ow.ly/2PFTKs 7 hours ago
- Canadian Government Seizes on Ottawa Shooting to Promote Militarist, Anti-democratic Agenda Information Clearing... ow.ly/2PFTKt 7 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #SocialJustice & #WrongfulConvictions w/ @FreeCalvinBuari & @Delaproser ow.ly/tbwu9 / http:/ow.ly/tbwuR 7 hours ago