Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- Android security mystery – ‘fake’ cellphone towers found in U.S.
- Jennifer Lawrence, other celebs’ pictures leaked: FBI addressing the matter – CBS News
- More police departments considering the use of drones – baltimoresun.com
- How the US’s terrorism watchlists work – and how you could end up on one | World news | theguardian.com
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- "An estimated 14’000 came out in Stockholm to protest against the Neo-Nazi group Svenskarnas Parti..." ow.ly/2MOFjP 2 hours ago
- Right Sector’s Borislav Bereza Visits San Francisco | Bay Area Antifa ow.ly/2MOwsh 3 hours ago
- "Studying the women’s situation in Syria, whether now or before the outbreak of revolution,..." ow.ly/2MOus4 3 hours ago
- "An estimated 14’000 came out in Stockholm to protest against the Neo-Nazi group Svenskarnas Parti..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PsLMoC 3 hours ago
- "Studying the women’s situation in Syria, whether now or before the outbreak of revolution, without..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PsHlkn 3 hours ago