Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- U.S. suffers from lifespan inequality, says Stanford researcher
- De-Manufacturing Consent- The Snowden-ISIS Hoax
- US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy | Human Rights Watch
- You’ve Got Mail: Judge Grants Feds Unrestricted Access To Gmail Account
- cryptogon.com » Only U.S. Votes Against Resolution to Investigate Latest Round of Israeli Atrocities
- UN: Israeli Military Drops More Leaflets, Gaza Evacuation in Progress - International Middle East Media Center ow.ly/2KQAPA 22 minutes ago
- "Secretary-General Ki-moon strongly urges all sides to avoid any further escalation at this time,..." ow.ly/2KQySK 28 minutes ago
- "Secretary-General Ki-moon strongly urges all sides to avoid any further escalation at this time,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MnbGB_ 1 hour ago
- The Malcolm X Files | The Smoking Gun ow.ly/zGgZw 6 hours ago
- Valcourt Announces Measures to Advance Treaty Negotiations and Reconciliation | On First Nation Issues, Events, An... ow.ly/2KPylM 9 hours ago