Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- September 1-30, 2014: VIRTUAL ACTION EVENT 4 LEONARD PELTIER’S 70th BIRTHDAY
- This Installation’s Approach Towards Public Surveillance Data? Shred Everything | The Creators Project
- ISIS executions go viral; Nusra attacks Golan | World War 4 Report
- US/NATO: Heirs to the Nazi Germany’s script for Ukraine — Puppet Masters — Sott.net
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/AU2UX 43 minutes ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/AU2U8 43 minutes ago
- "Dr. Alex Ekwueme has himself revealed how he spearheaded the idea to create a National Population..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PdAIKU 47 minutes ago
- Open Mike: #4thWorldRadyo ChatRadio/Podcast Call-in via Skype ow.ly/AU20q 'aboriginalnewsgroup' Subjects: #Colonialism #Ferguson 1 hour ago
- COINTELPRO | Democracy Now! ow.ly/ATYtk 2 hours ago