There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Maori Party Says More Kiwis Surveilled During Operation… | Stuff.co.nz
- Pardon people, not turkeys, Mr President – Comment – Voices – The Independent
- British news staff may face terrorism charges over Snowden leaks | Reuters
- Tweeters warned about contempt of court | Law | The Guardian
- PressTV – PLO rejects French report on Arafat’s death
- If U R a #BlackFeminist & have issues w/ #Misogyny in the Music industry, 4thWorldRadyo would like 2 chat w/ U ow.ly/rqDdS 10 hours ago
- Study shows need for HIV and STI education for Fiji prisoners | ABC Radio Australia ow.ly/2BVPyy 15 hours ago
- #Native American comedian Charlie Hill needs your help: ow.ly/rqmVF #NDN 15 hours ago
- "Sinopec’s track record at home and abroad is less than desirable when it comes to pipeline safety,"..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10CVTa5 15 hours ago
- bianca-vousaime asked: Hi, I was wondering if you could recommend any books exploring the legacies of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10CUvrH 15 hours ago