There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- #GazaUnderAttack | July 30, 2014 | Israel’s Genocide: 1324 Palestinians Killed – In Photos
- Lavon Affair
- Justice Department orders secrecy for files of anti-Iran advocacy group – Boing Boing
- Germany Will Ban Tech Companies That Play Ball With NSA – No federal contracts will go to companies that turn over data to the NSA or other agencies. There may, however, be one crucial exemption ~ News Forage
- Federal review stalled after finding forensic errors by FBI lab unit spanned two decades – The Washington Post
- Old Time Farm Crime: The Banana Massacre - Modern Farmer ow.ly/2KX986 2 hours ago
- Israel/Gaza: Attack on UN school in Gaza a potential war crime that must be investigated | Amnesty International ow.ly/2KX982 2 hours ago
- "Since 2010 the UN has been dodging responsibility for a cholera outbreak that has killed 8,500..." ow.ly/2KX4Yw 3 hours ago
- "Since 2010 the UN has been dodging responsibility for a cholera outbreak that has killed 8,500..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MwUck9 3 hours ago
- "Responding to a question of an STV reporter regarding concerns over lack of LGBTI rights in Zambia,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1MwUXS1 3 hours ago