There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan newswire of the Aboriginal News Group.
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation and genocide.
- Intense video challenges Catalan and Spanish collaboration with the Israeli occupation | Mondoweiss
- Military Quietly Grants Itself the Power to Police the Streets Without Local or State Consent | Alternet
- Jorge Videla, Argentina’s Ex-Military Leader, Dies in Jail · Global Voices
- Selling off Wounded Knee | SocialistWorker.org
- Papuan Voices Australia Tour 2013 | Papuan Voices
- A Conservative's Worst Nightmare: FORTY HELPFUL TIPS FOR ANTI-COMMUNISTS (A modern classic) ow.ly/2wXQFI 11 hours ago
- Indonesia court ruling boosts indigenous land rights ow.ly/2wXQFF 11 hours ago
- Ultra-orthodox Jews protest in Jerusalem against military draft | GlobalPost ow.ly/2wXQFG 11 hours ago
- Secret files reveal Anti-Defamation League spied on Noam Chomsky | The Electronic Intifada ow.ly/2wXQFH 11 hours ago
- A Conservative's Worst Nightmare: FORTY HELPFUL TIPS FOR ANTI-COMMUNISTS (A modern classic) -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAwlDqnk3 12 hours ago