Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- We Must Address Racial Disparity In Police Shootings | The National Memo ow.ly/2PvMeh 3 hours ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform..." ow.ly/2PvKGS 3 hours ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform people of..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TnhE-d 3 hours ago
- Mismeasures of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives ow.ly/Dbzbe 4 hours ago
- Photoset: black-culture: Mike Brown Official Autopsy Report Leaked. Must read. #Ferguson tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Tnab6R 4 hours ago