Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- AdDetector will make sure you never mistake a sponsored story for a real one | The Verge
- Local police involved in 400 killings per year
- U.S.: Dearborn cleric popular with ISIS fighters owes $250K for fraud | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
- California highway patrol officer under investigation for beating mentally ill woman — Society’s Child — Sott.net
- PressTV – Black population under attack by US system: Analyst
- Missouri KKK Chapter Planning Fundraiser for Darren Wilson | EURweb ow.ly/2MasE7 1 hour ago
- UK Neo-Nazi Darren Clifft Arrested after KKK-Style Mock Hanging at Rally ow.ly/2MasE5 1 hour ago
- Ferguson: No Justice In The American Police State By Paul Craig Roberts ow.ly/2MasE0 1 hour ago
- (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) - (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) ow.ly/2Mapxx 1 hour ago
- Photo: (via Photo by brokepimpstyles) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1OrSLsY 1 hour ago