Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- This Congressman Wants The Minimum Wage Repealed
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance – The Washington Post
- Fourth World Radyo: Remembering Mandela in an Age of Neoliberal Imperialism and Colonial Violence
- Cop Beats Schizophrenic Man to Death on Video, Faces 15 Years in Prison | The Free Thought Project
- White House reverses story on Obama living with Kenyan uncle in the 1980s – NBC Politics
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was restored amidst a highly contentious racial..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10k-RZd 1 hour ago
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/rBbxN 2 hours ago
- "Evans is suing BP Products North America and nine individuals in her lawsuit, seeking unspecified..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10khRu1 2 hours ago
- Former KKK leader David Duke kicked out of Italy over his ‘socially dangerous racist views’ | FreakOutNati... ow.ly/2BYhBU 2 days ago
- "on July 19th, 1984, Dunnes Stores worker Mary Manning refused to check out a customer’s South African..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw10UWj10 2 days ago