Darrin Manning, a black, straight-A student and star basketball player, was walking with his coach and teammates to basketball practice when they were stopped by three white police officers. The officer\’s admitted reason for stopping the group was that they were wearing scarves to cover their faces–on one of the coldest evenings ever recorded in Philadelphia. After the encounter, Manning had to be rushed to Children\’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he underwent reconstructive surgery on his genitals. Despite his injuries, the teenager was still charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest. An emergency townhall meeting has been announced for Tuesday January 21, where the community will convene to realize a plan for how to respond to the incident. \”We need to pay close attention to what is happening with our kids when they are interacting with police,\” said Damon Jones, Pastor of Bible Way Baptist Church, to Philly in Focus.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- More police departments considering the use of drones – baltimoresun.com
- How the US’s terrorism watchlists work – and how you could end up on one | World news | theguardian.com
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- September 1-30, 2014: VIRTUAL ACTION EVENT 4 LEONARD PELTIER’S 70th BIRTHDAY
- This Installation’s Approach Towards Public Surveillance Data? Shred Everything | The Creators Project
- "20/8/2014- The Community Security Trust (CST), which has a helpline for British Jews to report..." ow.ly/2MKcwe 24 minutes ago
- "Survivors who managed to escape from ISIS say the women held in its prison in Mosul face two fates:..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmRJrZ 24 minutes ago
- "19/8/2014- “I adopted three African children, I also run a tomato-growing cooperative there and built..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmKgFl 46 minutes ago
- Italy: Supermarket posts sign against #Roma beggars, denies racism ow.ly/AWXlf 47 minutes ago
- "22/8/2014- The private Jewish school Carolineskolen in Copenhagen’s Østerbro was extensively..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmJZ_0 49 minutes ago