Darrin Manning, a black, straight-A student and star basketball player, was walking with his coach and teammates to basketball practice when they were stopped by three white police officers. The officer\’s admitted reason for stopping the group was that they were wearing scarves to cover their faces–on one of the coldest evenings ever recorded in Philadelphia. After the encounter, Manning had to be rushed to Children\’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he underwent reconstructive surgery on his genitals. Despite his injuries, the teenager was still charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest. An emergency townhall meeting has been announced for Tuesday January 21, where the community will convene to realize a plan for how to respond to the incident. \”We need to pay close attention to what is happening with our kids when they are interacting with police,\” said Damon Jones, Pastor of Bible Way Baptist Church, to Philly in Focus.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- We Must Address Racial Disparity In Police Shootings | The National Memo ow.ly/2PvMeh 3 hours ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform..." ow.ly/2PvKGS 3 hours ago
- "Yet, these accounts were reported as truth in the race to ‘scoop’ new details and inform people of..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1TnhE-d 3 hours ago
- Mismeasures of Radical Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on African Fascism and the Failure of Master Race Narratives ow.ly/Dbzbe 4 hours ago
- Photoset: black-culture: Mike Brown Official Autopsy Report Leaked. Must read. #Ferguson tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1Tnab6R 4 hours ago