We could refer to this as the “From Malum Prohibitum to Murder” model of police escalation. Citizens who aren’t killed in such encounters can expect to be punished for the impudence they display by surviving. Police officers responsible for the actual crimes of violence will not face prosecution, owing to the evil doctrine of “qualified immunity.” A recent episode in Florida resulted in several charges — including attempted murder — against a man whose only apparent “offense” was to refuse to submit to a beating by a police officer.The assault began when an officer named Ronald Cannella who had attempted to pull over a man named Livingston Manners for allegedly running a stop light dragged the driver from his vehicle and threw him to the ground in a gas station. It’s quite likely that Manners, in justifiable fear for his safety, sought a well-lit area for the encounter with the brigand.Security camera video shows that Manners was compliant and non-aggressive as the officer tried to “build the stop” by searching his vehicle. The officer eventually reached into the vehicle and pulled Manners from it, and the victim does nothing to resist, holding his hands face-up and to the sides. Cannella can be seen putting a forearm on the face and the throat of his victim, and then punching him repeatedly. Although no audio is available, it’s certain that this attack was punctuated with the rapist’s refrain, “Stop resisting!”Cannella eventually places the victim on his back and appears to be attempting to place a chokehold on him. Manners defends himself with a maneuver similar to the “guard” position from Jiu-Jitsu, trapping the uniformed assailant’s arms and holding him at bay for roughly 45 seconds until the aggressor’s comrades arrive.At no point in the struggle is Manners seen making an aggressive move, or touching the throat of the assailant. It is possible that the victim applied a lapel choke — but if he did so this came after Cannella had already repeatedly struck him and, apparently, attacked his own throat first.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
We seek to support, educate and unify Indigenous Peoples, Bloggers & Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberalism and genocide.
- More police departments considering the use of drones – baltimoresun.com
- How the US’s terrorism watchlists work – and how you could end up on one | World news | theguardian.com
- BBC News – Ex-US Navy officer who spied for Soviets dies in prison
- September 1-30, 2014: VIRTUAL ACTION EVENT 4 LEONARD PELTIER’S 70th BIRTHDAY
- This Installation’s Approach Towards Public Surveillance Data? Shred Everything | The Creators Project
- "20/8/2014- The Community Security Trust (CST), which has a helpline for British Jews to report..." ow.ly/2MKcwe 25 minutes ago
- "Survivors who managed to escape from ISIS say the women held in its prison in Mosul face two fates:..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmRJrZ 25 minutes ago
- "19/8/2014- “I adopted three African children, I also run a tomato-growing cooperative there and built..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmKgFl 47 minutes ago
- Italy: Supermarket posts sign against #Roma beggars, denies racism ow.ly/AWXlf 48 minutes ago
- "22/8/2014- The private Jewish school Carolineskolen in Copenhagen’s Østerbro was extensively..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1PmJZ_0 50 minutes ago