February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Alexander First Nation band members sue leaders for alleged ‘illegal’ payments
- The Daily Beast: Mystery Hackers Blow Up Secret NSA Hacking Tools in ‘Final F–k You’
- Biden: Intel officials warned us of Trump dossier
- US troops deployed to Poland in response to ‘Russian aggression’
- Anti-Trump demonstration, London, 20 January — Dear Kitty. Some blog
- Author Joseph Boyden has built a career on writing Indigenous... ow.ly/LGum508Bnhj 1 day ago
- 'Bombshell Revelations' Point to Ongoing Poisoning of Grassy Narrows People | Common Dreams ow.ly/8F2d508AhyA 1 day ago
- haaretz:Progressive Jews stand with John Lewis after Trump... ow.ly/1SFd508AhEI 1 day ago
- #UnsettlingCanada - (#RIP) #ArthurManuel and Grand Chief #RonDerrickson youtube.com/watch?v=dDYQK7… 1 day ago
- Ex-prisoners launch class action over alleged abuse in NT juvenile detention | SBS News ow.ly/s4xO508AeQi 1 day ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.