February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Racisme municipal militant contre des Roms à Haubourdin (59), c’est pas le F-Haine…
- Unknown Disease Ravages Ondo Community | 28 Dead in 3 Days
- 15 Nigerians, Ghanians killed in Mediterranean by Ivoriens, Malians, Senegalese Ap
- Police release extraordinary statement on Lord Janner: “this animal is still being protected”
- Michael Brown demonstrators ‘enemy forces’, United States National Guard says
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." ow.ly/2XA3gv 3 hours ago
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1inV8Gp 4 hours ago
- "It’s a return to one of Thatcher’s failed policies from the 1980s – the so-called..." ow.ly/2XzJIv 8 hours ago
- "It’s a return to one of Thatcher’s failed policies from the 1980s – the so-called ‘right-to-buy’. The..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1imKnEX 9 hours ago
- "Following the execution of Saddam Hussein on 30 December, 2006, Al-Douri was confirmed as the new..." ow.ly/2XzGh4 9 hours ago