February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUI 6 hours ago
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUH 6 hours ago
- Judge Orders U.S. Government to Release More Than 2,000 Photos of Abuse and Torture by U.S. Military in Iraq and A... ow.ly/2WzHUG 6 hours ago
- "There has been an increasing amount of awareness around domestic violence against men in the last..." ow.ly/2WzFKd 7 hours ago
- Conservatives are now calling criticisms of Bill C-51 "conspiracy theories" | Press Progress ow.ly/2WzBvo 7 hours ago