February marks a big step forward in reclaiming justice for Native American and Alaska Native women! On February 2nd, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act VAWA. Originally passed in 1994, VAWA has combined criminal justice, social services and community-based initiatives to enhance the prevention and response to violence against women.This reauthorization is all the more crucial this year because VAWA now also incorporates the groundbreaking new protections for Native American and Alaska Native Women found in the SAVE Native Women Act, such as clarifying tribal civil jurisdiction to issue and enforce protection orders. These protections will help address many of the safety and justice challenges faced by Native women in the United States and documented in our 2007 Maze of Injustice report.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- #Palestinian baby burned to death after #settlers set fire to home - Israel - news | Haaretz ow.ly/322Fku 11 hours ago
- The new pirate radio crackdown: 400 stations closed in the past two years | Television & radio | The Guardian ow.ly/322C7g 12 hours ago
- Sandra Bland Laid to Rest; First Black Judge in Waller County Demands Sheriff Resign over Her Death | Democracy No... ow.ly/322C7f 12 hours ago
- Israeli law to force-feed prisoners labeled ‘torture’ by doctors | McClatchy DC ow.ly/322yxM 13 hours ago
- Stan Grant: I can tell you how Adam Goodes feels. Every Indigenous person has felt it | Comment is free | The Guar... ow.ly/322yxL 13 hours ago