FORT ALBANY FIRST NATION, – Two First Nations communities in northern Ontario have declared a state of emergency and are evacuating residents as ice breakup on a nearby river causes jams and flooding.The evacuation of “vulnerable residents” in the First Nations of Kashechewan and Fort Albany began as a precaution yesterday and is continuing today.A spokesman with Ontario’s Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services says the plan is to evacuate some 300 residents today and take them to the northern Ontario towns of Kapuskasing and Wawa.Greg Flood says approximately 50 people were taken from Kashechewan to Kapuskasing yesterday, where preparations to house them have been made.He says a breakup of ice on the Albany river has caused localized flooding and ice jams near the two communities which sit on the James Bay coast.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- China ‘cloning factory’ to produce cattle, racehorses and pets – Telegraph
- At least 18 complaints filed against CPD Officer Jason Van Dyke, now charged with murder | abc7chicago.com
- Putin Accuses Turkey Of Backing ISIS After It Downs Russian Warplane In Syria
- Journalist on Shooting of Laquan McDonald By Chicago Police Officer: “It Was An Horrific Execution” | Democracy Now!
- What the final hours of Ms Dhu’s life tell us about our broken justice system
- New Anti-Terrorism Law Threatens Brazil’s Civil Society | RED POWER MEDIA ow.ly/38jf5E 2 hours ago
- Turkey’s Act of War | Under Siege - Turkey’s Act of War | Under Siege: Here is a rundown of what has happened s... ow.ly/38jf5D 2 hours ago
- China ‘cloning factory’ to produce cattle, racehorses and pets - Telegraph ow.ly/38jeHe 2 hours ago
- Nestlé admits to forced labour in its seafood supply chain in Thailand | EurActiv ow.ly/38iQuA 5 hours ago
- "Nativist Hysteria" Against Syrian Refugees Echoes U.S. Rejection of Jewish Refugees in 1930s | Democracy Now! ow.ly/38iJfs 6 hours ago