FORT ALBANY FIRST NATION, – Two First Nations communities in northern Ontario have declared a state of emergency and are evacuating residents as ice breakup on a nearby river causes jams and flooding.The evacuation of “vulnerable residents” in the First Nations of Kashechewan and Fort Albany began as a precaution yesterday and is continuing today.A spokesman with Ontario’s Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services says the plan is to evacuate some 300 residents today and take them to the northern Ontario towns of Kapuskasing and Wawa.Greg Flood says approximately 50 people were taken from Kashechewan to Kapuskasing yesterday, where preparations to house them have been made.He says a breakup of ice on the Albany river has caused localized flooding and ice jams near the two communities which sit on the James Bay coast.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Nazi flags erected near bonfire site in Carrickfergus - BBC News ow.ly/315hn7 4 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." ow.ly/315hhZ 4 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p1AgCH 5 hours ago
- "At the same time, many of you are scandalized by the ruling (we know because you keep tweeting about..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0ymYT 6 hours ago
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." ow.ly/314TjR 7 hours ago