FORT ALBANY FIRST NATION, – Two First Nations communities in northern Ontario have declared a state of emergency and are evacuating residents as ice breakup on a nearby river causes jams and flooding.The evacuation of “vulnerable residents” in the First Nations of Kashechewan and Fort Albany began as a precaution yesterday and is continuing today.A spokesman with Ontario’s Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services says the plan is to evacuate some 300 residents today and take them to the northern Ontario towns of Kapuskasing and Wawa.Greg Flood says approximately 50 people were taken from Kashechewan to Kapuskasing yesterday, where preparations to house them have been made.He says a breakup of ice on the Albany river has caused localized flooding and ice jams near the two communities which sit on the James Bay coast.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 125 Years After a Massacre, Native Americans Are Still Fighting to Take Back Wounded Knee | Mic
- ‘Leaked’ Memo Signals Danger of Stepped Up U.S. Aggression: Syria Needs a Real Revolution—Not an Even Worse Reactionary Bloodbath
- Former naval officer Chung Eui-sung reportedly collected brokerage fee of 300 billion won for just one project
- 20 Arrested for Blocking NRA Driveway to Call for Assault Weapons Ban | Democracy Now!
- A Senate committee wants to crack down on spy agencies’ cozy relationship with Hollywood | VICE News
- Evo Morales: Brexit is Sign of Capitalist Breakdown | News | teleSUR English ow.ly/JUdL501LCYr 3 days ago
- 125 Years After a Massacre, Native Americans Are Still Fighting to Take Back Wounded Knee ow.ly/70Lc501LCAn 3 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: A Look at the Various Ways #Pseudointellectualism Harms People of Colour https://t.co/4aLiqZmGtm is.gd/ppfx7P 3 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: A Look at the Various Ways #Pseudointellectualism Harms the General Public https://t.co/4aLiqZmGtm https://t.co/2ePfq1ANzF 3 days ago
- #Fis4Fascism (#TheAryanAbattoir) An #Antifa.scismus Notebook wp.me/p3exIw-YV / tinyurl.com/qbsjlr5 https://t.co/ltJg235FST 3 days ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.