In a surprise move, Bolivian President Evo Morales announced April 10 he is rescinding the contract of the Brazilian firm OAS to build a controversial highway through the Amazon rainforest. Morales had already suspended the most contentious section, which was to pass through the Isiboro Sécure National Park Indigenous Territory TIPNIS—which was the subject of rival indigenous marches on La Paz for and against its construction. Now he is said he will annul the contract to build the remaining sections of the road that would link Villa Tunari in Cochabamba department with San Ignacio de Moxos in the rainforest department of Beni. Morales told a press conference in La Paz that the company had violated terms of the contract, charging, “OAS suspended construction in these sections without justification or authorization.” Morales did not say if the road project would ultimately resume, or if OAS would be compensated. MercoPress, April 11
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- moorbey: Not Oz, Not Orange, Not Shawshank Either: The Real... ow.ly/326vkC 29 minutes ago
- Joint statement on racism directed at Aboriginal AFL player Adam Goodes - Amnesty International Australia ow.ly/326v5U 29 minutes ago
- Photo: moorbey: Not Oz, Not Orange, Not Shawshank Either: The Real History (our story) of Black Radicalism... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r10T6f 38 minutes ago
- Photo: angryasiangirlsunited: Indian, Fijian and Irish. Finally learning how to claim my heritage instead... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r0_ctd 45 minutes ago
- Photoset: lastrealindians: Glenn Morris and Cody Hall were on Al Jazeera America talking about the killing... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r0yq9l 52 minutes ago