In a surprise move, Bolivian President Evo Morales announced April 10 he is rescinding the contract of the Brazilian firm OAS to build a controversial highway through the Amazon rainforest. Morales had already suspended the most contentious section, which was to pass through the Isiboro Sécure National Park Indigenous Territory TIPNIS—which was the subject of rival indigenous marches on La Paz for and against its construction. Now he is said he will annul the contract to build the remaining sections of the road that would link Villa Tunari in Cochabamba department with San Ignacio de Moxos in the rainforest department of Beni. Morales told a press conference in La Paz that the company had violated terms of the contract, charging, “OAS suspended construction in these sections without justification or authorization.” Morales did not say if the road project would ultimately resume, or if OAS would be compensated. MercoPress, April 11
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Pope Francis speaks out against ivory poaching in Kenya – Al Jazeera English
- NT Paperless Arrest Laws Part 1: Where They Came From, Who They Target – New Matilda
- Walmart Is Working with the FBI and Lockheed Martin to Spy on Striking Workers
- Port Fail: Vulnerability reveals real IP | Perfect Privacy
- Party like it’s 1998: UK government bans ripping CDs — again / Boing Boing
- "Warren Robinson’s death warranted more coverage in local media, but considering the mayhem that..." ow.ly/38og1R 9 hours ago
- Family Of Indigenous Woman Who Died In Police Custody Disgusted By Cruel Online Abuse - BuzzFeed News ow.ly/38og43 9 hours ago
- UPDATED: US White Supremacists are Targeting #BlackLivesMatter Activists | [Modern Times] ow.ly/V7TaB 10 hours ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/V7SZt 10 hours ago
- Pope Francis speaks out against ivory poaching in Kenya - Al Jazeera English ow.ly/38o9u4 11 hours ago