In a surprise move, Bolivian President Evo Morales announced April 10 he is rescinding the contract of the Brazilian firm OAS to build a controversial highway through the Amazon rainforest. Morales had already suspended the most contentious section, which was to pass through the Isiboro Sécure National Park Indigenous Territory TIPNIS—which was the subject of rival indigenous marches on La Paz for and against its construction. Now he is said he will annul the contract to build the remaining sections of the road that would link Villa Tunari in Cochabamba department with San Ignacio de Moxos in the rainforest department of Beni. Morales told a press conference in La Paz that the company had violated terms of the contract, charging, “OAS suspended construction in these sections without justification or authorization.” Morales did not say if the road project would ultimately resume, or if OAS would be compensated. MercoPress, April 11
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Is the Evidence from Racial Bias Shooting Task Studies a Smoking Gun? Results From a Meta-Analysis
- Support Grows for a National Commission on Reparatory Justice
- Why You Mad Son? Radio | Facebook
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- COINTELPRO warrior Dhoruba bin Wahad attacked by New Black Panther Party – National Cointelpro | Examiner.com
- The World Doesn’t Care About You, and Other News - The World Doesn’t Care About You, and Other News: theparisrevie... ow.ly/33syIt 4 minutes ago
- Poland: "Showers" placed at Auschwitz entrance - I CARE - - News - Internet Centre Anti Racism Europe: 31/8/2015- ... ow.ly/33syic 4 minutes ago
- The World Doesn’t Care About You, and Other News - theparisreview: Jane Smiley’s cluttered office,... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tFm9Ku 40 minutes ago
- Thai Police Award Themselves $84K for Arrest of Bomb Suspect - breakingnews: Follow updates on the Bangkok... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tFm3sV 40 minutes ago
- What this German football club just did highlights Britain's shameful record on refugees -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tFldUU 42 minutes ago