Peru’s government is ignoring new UN guidelines on the protection of isolated indigenous peoples in the Amazon, Survival International charged last week. The landmark February report by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, “Norms for Protection of Indigenous Peoples in Isolation and Initial Contact of the Amazon Region, Gran Chaco and Oriental Region of Paraguay” PDF, in Spanish, makes clear that the lands of isolated tribes should be untouchable, and that “no rights should be granted that involve the use of natural resources.” However, Peru is allowing the country’s largest gas project to expand further into indigenous territories known to house numerous uncontacted Indians. The expansion plan adds to existing controversies around Argentine gas giant Pluspetrol and its notorious Camisea project in southeast Peru.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Racisme municipal militant contre des Roms à Haubourdin (59), c’est pas le F-Haine…
- Unknown Disease Ravages Ondo Community | 28 Dead in 3 Days
- 15 Nigerians, Ghanians killed in Mediterranean by Ivoriens, Malians, Senegalese Ap
- Police release extraordinary statement on Lord Janner: “this animal is still being protected”
- Michael Brown demonstrators ‘enemy forces’, United States National Guard says
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." ow.ly/2XA3gv 17 hours ago
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1inV8Gp 18 hours ago
- "It’s a return to one of Thatcher’s failed policies from the 1980s – the so-called..." ow.ly/2XzJIv 22 hours ago
- "It’s a return to one of Thatcher’s failed policies from the 1980s – the so-called ‘right-to-buy’. The..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1imKnEX 23 hours ago
- "Following the execution of Saddam Hussein on 30 December, 2006, Al-Douri was confirmed as the new..." ow.ly/2XzGh4 23 hours ago