Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Jeremy Corbyn and British Labour Friends of Israel
- Obama opts for “good cop” approach with encryption backdoors
- Islamic State ‘used mustard gas’ against peshmerga – BBC News
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- No, Conservatives, The UCC Shooter Was Not ‘Targeting Christians’ ow.ly/35hXVd 21 hours ago
- No, Conservatives, The UCC Shooter Was Not ‘Targeting Christians’ - Once again, as Bo Gardiner points out... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1vrsYM8 21 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo 'The Roosting of Right-Wing Extremist Chickens in Americas Gun-Happy Barnyard' tinyurl.com/p5wsdld http://t.co/i31fX0ojAt 22 hours ago
- The NRA Will Lose Its Sh*t Over This Twitter Feed That Shows All US Gun Violence In Real Time�(TWEETS) ‹ Reader — ... ow.ly/35hM8d 22 hours ago
- Cameron's attack on 'terrorist-sympathising' Corbyn resembles a McCarthyist witch-hunt ow.ly/35hM8e 22 hours ago