Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Israel arrests Jewish activist for 'nationalist crimes' - Al Jazeera English ow.ly/32babk 9 hours ago
- Prison reformer agrees with US lawyer on mistreatment of Maori ow.ly/32babl 9 hours ago
- #Audio: APNS Public Radyo: Mainstream Journalism & #BlackLivesMatter: A Chat w/ reporter @drewwest_press is.gd/Tuwasj #PirateRadio 11 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #Genocide In #OccupiedPalestine w/ #AntiZionist #activist @Thalwen ow.ly/QrPsv #WasBurnedAlive #AliDawabshe 14 hours ago
- Maisy Marie Odjick - Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls - CBC ow.ly/32anYd 17 hours ago