Hundreds of supporters of former death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal marked his 58th birthday Tuesday with a protest outside the U.S. Department Justice in Washington, D.C., calling for a federal probe into his case. For decades, Abu-Jamal has argued racism by the trial judge and prosecutors led to his conviction for the killing of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Last year, the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a lower judge, who set aside his death sentence after finding jurors were given confusing instructions that encouraged them to choose the death penalty rather than a life sentence. In January this year, Abu-Jamal was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population. We get legal update from Abu-Jamal’s attorney, Judith Ritter. Later in the broadcast we speak directly with Abu-Jamal by telephone. [Transcript to come. Check back soon.]
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- "…Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What..." ow.ly/30X1gq 3 hours ago
- Eagle Feather News - Eagle Feather News: Business, Missing People, News And the Indigenous Newsmaker of the Year g... ow.ly/30WXaz 3 hours ago
- "…Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What have I,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1onkT_v 3 hours ago
- Video shows a New York City cop fighting a suspect before he is... ow.ly/30Wyxa 8 hours ago
- Why Realness Fails Us in Native Studies | against a politics of disposability ow.ly/30Wyg4 9 hours ago