I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–“Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Officer of the Year Eric Casebolt’z brutality inspirez courageouz youth to fight back (Black)
- Police Officer Shooting At Dog Hits Nearby Toddler, Leaves ‘Without Offering Help’
- IS offensive running out of steam after rebel-regime victories
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Cuban Government Statement On Re-Establishing Diplomatic Ties With US - Eurasia Review ow.ly/30RIBC 2 hours ago
- "Tevens heeft TTIP een groot effect op onze democratische processen, door middel van de ISDS-clausule..." ow.ly/30RwnH 3 hours ago
- "Tevens heeft TTIP een groot effect op onze democratische processen, door middel van de ISDS-clausule..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1obctOq 3 hours ago
- Mismeasures of Radical #Afrocentrism: Indigenist Thoughts on African Fascism & the Failure of #MasterRace Narratives ow.ly/P5WGu 3 hours ago
- "Overall, real average incomes per family in 2014 grew by a substantial 4.8 percent. For the bottom..." ow.ly/30RqvW 4 hours ago