I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–“Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Leonard Peltier Health Crisis — ashiftinconsciousness
- PNG Opposition opposes Coal Mining proposal — Papua New Guinea Mine Watch
- Boris Johnson denies Saudi bombing massacres in Yemen breach international law — Follow The Money
- president-elect tweet shaming startles corporate America- By BEN WHITE and LORRAINE WOELLERT 12/06/16 05:42 PM EST — Just Sayin’
- Malaysian illegal logger and politician repays O’Neill for keeping SABL with 8 new town houses valued AT K1 million each — PNGexposed Blog
- PNG Opposition opposes Coal Mining proposal — Papua New Guinea... ow.ly/EUMB507jCAv 26 minutes ago
- Chinese media calls Donald Trump a diplomatic rookie, warns him against provoking China ow.ly/FliB507juEx 1 hour ago
- Qatar: Independent News Website Blocked | Humanitarian News - Qatar: Independent News Website Blocked | Humanit... ow.ly/LyKS507idlZ 12 hours ago
- Boris Johnson denies Saudi bombing massacres in Yemen breach... ow.ly/aOqE507i982 13 hours ago
- wagingnonviolence.org: Standing Rock celebrates victory while pondering the struggle ahead ow.ly/V9y7507i4zv 14 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.