I guess we can put all the talk about Johnny Depp “honoring” Native people to rest now. Cause it’s been over a month since those first horrendous publicity pics of Depp-as-Tonto surfaced, and more information has been trickling out about Depp’s “inspiration” for his lovely costume. I think we’ll now see just how careful, respectful and honoring Mr. Depp was with his “research” for his role.As background, Depp has said in numerous interviews that wanted to change the role of Tonto, and wanted to “reinvent” the relationship between Indians and Hollywood. He also cited his Native heritage–“Cherokee or maybe Creek”–as part of his reasoning behind taking the role. In this clip from MTV news, Johnny describes his plans for Tonto’s character, which, out of context, actually sound pretty good:
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Video shows 4 black officers held at gunpoint by police – Black Politics on the Web
- The Tricky Business Of Combating The Islamic State In Minneapolis-St Paul | ThinkProgress
- Accomplices Not Allies: Abolishing the Ally Industrial Complex
- Going after the federal government’s porn problem – Watchdog.org
- Un 1er mai pluvieux mais déterminé à Rodez (12)
- "Although the lake supplies Winnipeg with all of its drinking water, the community has been under a..." ow.ly/2YfIX9 13 minutes ago
- Winnipeg police fatal shooting of Aboriginal man nearly 7 years ago has family still waiting for answers | APTN Na... ow.ly/2YfIde 13 minutes ago
- "Although the lake supplies Winnipeg with all of its drinking water, the community has been under a..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1k5VDCm 1 hour ago
- We Need a Full, Transparent Review of the US Targeted Killing Program | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for ... ow.ly/2YelKE 12 hours ago
- In India, a Broken System Leaves a ‘Broken’ People Powerless | Inter Press Service ow.ly/2YelKF 12 hours ago