You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ online... - (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ onli... ow.ly/327yL3 36 minutes ago
- Conservatives increase pressure on Rouhani - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East ow.ly/327ygF 37 minutes ago
- Video: (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ online recruiting success story) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r3ueoD 1 hour ago
- The #BaltimoreUprising and #Afro-Academic #Schadenfreude w/ @aptly_engineerd - APNS Public Radyo is.gd/kAAbKD #BlackAndJewish 1 hour ago
- Michaela Whitton: UK Politicians Call For Army To Round Up Migrants And Put Them In Camps ow.ly/327ux7 1 hour ago