You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Officer of the Year Eric Casebolt’z brutality inspirez courageouz youth to fight back (Black)
- Police Officer Shooting At Dog Hits Nearby Toddler, Leaves ‘Without Offering Help’
- IS offensive running out of steam after rebel-regime victories
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Big Brother Watching: Kuwait Makes DNA Testing Mandatory for All Residents / Sputnik International ow.ly/30Sy9i 2 hours ago
- "NBC News reported that the train was carrying Acrylonitrile, which authorities described as a..." ow.ly/30Ser5 4 hours ago
- "NBC News reported that the train was carrying Acrylonitrile, which authorities described as a “highly..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ocXC7M 4 hours ago
- Cuban Government Statement On Re-Establishing Diplomatic Ties With US - Eurasia Review ow.ly/30RIBC 7 hours ago
- "Tevens heeft TTIP een groot effect op onze democratische processen, door middel van de ISDS-clausule..." ow.ly/30RwnH 8 hours ago