You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Kerry: Turkish President’s Insinuation of US Role in Attempted Coup is ‘Harmful to Our Bilateral Relations’ – ABC News
- Secret Offshore Deals Deprive Africa of Billions In Natural Resource Dollars
- FBI ‘No Knock, No Warrant’ Raid on Activists During RNC
- Tobias Ellwood admits parliament was misled over Saudi Arabia’s use of cluster-bombs | Daily Mail Online
- Turkey investigating people who say coup attempt was hoax | The Indian Express
- africandiasporaphd: Sesay on Remembering Phillis Wheatley... ow.ly/bbHh502Nd5e 1 hour ago
- The Modern [AfroIndio] Times | 4th World Issues; Antifaschismus Politic & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/xmtV302BuBl 2 hours ago
- Brexit fallout: Anti-migrant attacks surge in the UK - News from Al Jazeera ow.ly/2cEO502N8La 2 hours ago
- I love that you give us the addresses to antifascist prisoners!! now we can tell them how we support them and I... ow.ly/fFXZ502N8mJ 2 hours ago
- revealnews: Welfare is alive and well in America. It’s just... ow.ly/QGAt502N43V 3 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.