You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Anti-Muslim Protests Scheduled Nationwide: ‘Global Rally For Humanity’ Calls On Demonstrations In Front Of Mosques Across US Cities
- 4thWorldRadyo invites @TherealGeorgeZ 2 exp why #ChrisHarperMercer is #MixedRace & he isnt ow.ly/T6ehP http://t.co/YoMrM0l7QR 10 minutes ago
- "Explaining the blackout on their site, they wrote: “Our culture rewards folks for RTs and posting..." ow.ly/3589rG 4 hours ago
- [Modern Times] | 4th World Issues, International Politics & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/T5zZi 4 hours ago
- "Explaining the blackout on their site, they wrote: “Our culture rewards folks for RTs and posting the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1vgEgcq 5 hours ago
- Disturbing Viral Video Seemingly Shows LA Officer Being Stalked Rattles Law Enforcement ow.ly/3580ju 5 hours ago