You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Athens on edge after explosion severely damages buildings | World news | The Guardian
- What Did Tajikistan’s ISIS Colonel Learn From His American Training? | EurasiaNet.org
- China ‘cloning factory’ to produce cattle, racehorses and pets – Telegraph
- At least 18 complaints filed against CPD Officer Jason Van Dyke, now charged with murder | abc7chicago.com
- Putin Accuses Turkey Of Backing ISIS After It Downs Russian Warplane In Syria
- Athens on edge after explosion severely damages buildings | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/38jwpg 23 minutes ago
- Serial killers, indigenous women and the RCMP’s missing data - The Globe and Mail ow.ly/38jwb0 25 minutes ago
- 2015 Gerald and Maas Suppressed News - 2015 Gerald and Maas Suppressed News November 4, 2015 Myanmar (Bur... ow.ly/38jwaZ 25 minutes ago
- ‘Serious consideration’ to be given to holding inquiry into Sheku Bayoh death | UK news | The Guardian ow.ly/38jwaY 25 minutes ago
- New Anti-Terrorism Law Threatens Brazil’s Civil Society | RED POWER MEDIA ow.ly/38jf5E 4 hours ago