You know when a topic comes up at a staff meeting, professional development, or in the staffroom, and you think “oh good, we’re finally going to talk about this!” and then the collective finds a way to shut it down, and you’re left going, “what the heck just happened?”I’ve had that moment a million times when talking about racism in students’ lives and the impact it has on student learning. It’s like a code of silence. I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been involved in projects where we have talked about it, but I find generally in the teaching force the topic is somewhat taboo.I found this list of maintenance strategies teachers use when the topic of racism comes up in order to avoid really talking about it. I think the list is useful because it helps me identify what is going on instead of feeling like everyone in the room knows something that I don’t and that’s why the conversation suddenly went in a direction that I totally didn’t see coming.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Filmdokumentation: Wie die USA und CIA den Aufbau der BRD steuerten
- ‘Turkish’ hackers threaten to reset millions of iCloud accounts
- Russia ‘perhaps’ supplying Taliban: NATO commander
- Russian bank sends threatening letter to computer scientist who called for Trump investigation – CNNPolitics.com
- 4th World Radyo: The Ides of March: EasyD and the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics – @TheAngryindian in Conversation with @BobKincaid of Head On Radio
- Russian Steel Oligarch and Putin Ally Is Secretly Profiting from Trump's Pipelines ow.ly/DSBO50apPU3 1 day ago
- maa-iingan: WE’RE STILL HERE This is OUR land Protested today... ow.ly/kpGF50apPzg 1 day ago
- Death Threats Target Federal Judge Who Ruled Against Trump Travel Ban | Democracy Now! ow.ly/Wwe230afc5g 1 day ago
- Unite Against Fascism | Anti-fascist campaigners condemn Parliament terrorist attacks and attempts by far-right... ow.ly/2u2B50apOdm 1 day ago
- fuckyeahmarxismleninism: April 10: International Day of... - fuckyeahmarxismleninism: April 10: International D... ow.ly/hHD850apM2V 1 day ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.