BRITISH SCALP PROCLAMATION: 1756Between 1753 and 1756, many skirmishes occurred between the Mikmaq and British forces, as could be expected, since many of the Mikmaq Districts were still at war with them. However, the reaction of Governor Lawrence in 1756, perhaps in retaliation for the assistance given to the Acadians, was typical of English behaviour towards the Mikmaq. The “tribal liability” provisions of the treaties, which branded all Indians guilty, may have also been part of his rationalization when, on May 14, 1756, he issued a scalp proclamation. The bounty offered:”And, we do hereby promise, by and with the advice and consent of His MajestysCouncil, a reward of 30£ for every male Indian Prisoner, above the age ofsixteen years, brought in alive; or for a scalp of such male Indian twenty-five pounds,and twenty-five pounds for every Indian woman or child brought in alive: Suchrewards to be paid by the Officer commanding at any of His Majestys Forts in thisProvince, immediately on receiving the Prisoners or Scalps above mentioned,according to the intent and meaning of this Proclamation.”This proclamation is still on the books and the Canadian government has steadfastly refused to rescind it.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests - JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia’s military and ... ow.ly/wCKb50fjmzd 8 hours ago
- Me Facing Life: Cyntoia's Story | A Woman in Prison | Independent Lens | PBS ow.ly/6oc550fiTYO 16 hours ago
- collectorsweekly: “We were the prophets, the messengers, the... ow.ly/KYg750fiRqF 17 hours ago
- Liberals will back U.N. Indigenous rights bill - iPolitics - Liberals will back U.N. Indigenous rights bill - i... ow.ly/42G550fiR1w 17 hours ago
- Indiĝenaj Inteligenteco | A Fourth World Intelligence Newsblog ow.ly/SstM30gJfSf 17 hours ago
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests
- Trump Jr. met with man with close ties to Kremlin
- Herpes scientist injected people with experimental vaccine in hotel room
- Australian Prime Minister ‘blames Muslims’ for voting against equal marriage
- Russia-sponsored troll networks targeting the U.S. may number in the hundreds
- Syracuse University mumps outbreak – bad anti-vaccine math
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.