BRITISH SCALP PROCLAMATION: 1756Between 1753 and 1756, many skirmishes occurred between the Mikmaq and British forces, as could be expected, since many of the Mikmaq Districts were still at war with them. However, the reaction of Governor Lawrence in 1756, perhaps in retaliation for the assistance given to the Acadians, was typical of English behaviour towards the Mikmaq. The “tribal liability” provisions of the treaties, which branded all Indians guilty, may have also been part of his rationalization when, on May 14, 1756, he issued a scalp proclamation. The bounty offered:”And, we do hereby promise, by and with the advice and consent of His MajestysCouncil, a reward of 30£ for every male Indian Prisoner, above the age ofsixteen years, brought in alive; or for a scalp of such male Indian twenty-five pounds,and twenty-five pounds for every Indian woman or child brought in alive: Suchrewards to be paid by the Officer commanding at any of His Majestys Forts in thisProvince, immediately on receiving the Prisoners or Scalps above mentioned,according to the intent and meaning of this Proclamation.”This proclamation is still on the books and the Canadian government has steadfastly refused to rescind it.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4thWorldRadyo is in the studio ow.ly/muIQW Call-In via Hangouts/XMPP/SIP [ask 4 contact request] Today'… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- “An Indigenous Response to #MeToo” – is an Engaging Conversation Starter to Break the Silence and Lean into Cultur… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Was Bernie Sanders fine with Russian annexation of Crimea? No | PunditFact ow.ly/lcZM30lrZU3 1 day ago
- Smoking mad: Cops outraged over video of marijuana deal on NYPD squad car – NY Daily News
- #ConspiracyTheorist #AlexJones destroyed evidence, court motion claims
- Accused Russian ‘Agent’ Seeks Donations for Defense | Newsmax.com
- #Rwanda: Govt Suspends 57 Schools in Fresh Crackdown
- #Pinochet’s granddaughter ordered to return land to #Chile’s #Mapuche – The Santiago Times
- 2 KILLED, 270 INJURED AS ISRAEL ATTACKS GREAT RETURN MARCH PARTICIPANTS — IPNOT GLOBAL
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.