Aymara comunarios (communal pesants) from the pueblos of Karikari and Calachaca, in Bolivia’s Potosí department, on June 28 seized two engineers at the local Malku Khota mining operation, owned by South American Silver of Canada, to press their demand for the release of their leader Cancio Rojas, who was arrested late last month on charges related to protests against the mine project. A South American Silver statement said the two men had been “kidnapped,” and that they are “at serious risk given the aggressiveness and intolerance with which these groups behave.” Interior Minister Carlos Romero also said, “What they have done is a kidnapping, it’s an offense, it’s a crime.” He added that Cancio Rojas “is detained by the order of a competent judicial authority because he is accused of kidnapping, torture and other offenses.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUI 10 hours ago
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUH 10 hours ago
- Judge Orders U.S. Government to Release More Than 2,000 Photos of Abuse and Torture by U.S. Military in Iraq and A... ow.ly/2WzHUG 10 hours ago
- "There has been an increasing amount of awareness around domestic violence against men in the last..." ow.ly/2WzFKd 11 hours ago
- Conservatives are now calling criticisms of Bill C-51 "conspiracy theories" | Press Progress ow.ly/2WzBvo 11 hours ago