Aymara comunarios (communal pesants) from the pueblos of Karikari and Calachaca, in Bolivia’s Potosí department, on June 28 seized two engineers at the local Malku Khota mining operation, owned by South American Silver of Canada, to press their demand for the release of their leader Cancio Rojas, who was arrested late last month on charges related to protests against the mine project. A South American Silver statement said the two men had been “kidnapped,” and that they are “at serious risk given the aggressiveness and intolerance with which these groups behave.” Interior Minister Carlos Romero also said, “What they have done is a kidnapping, it’s an offense, it’s a crime.” He added that Cancio Rojas “is detained by the order of a competent judicial authority because he is accused of kidnapping, torture and other offenses.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Former Orange County teacher sues for discrimination
- Is the Evidence from Racial Bias Shooting Task Studies a Smoking Gun? Results From a Meta-Analysis
- Support Grows for a National Commission on Reparatory Justice
- Why You Mad Son? Radio | Facebook
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- mtol: Unist’ot’en Camp, an indigenous community in the path of... ow.ly/33tBv9 57 minutes ago
- Immigration Policy in World War II | The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History ow.ly/33tAEi 58 minutes ago
- Photo: mtol: Unist’ot’en Camp, an indigenous community in the path of three fossil fuel pipelines, is under... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tHNtm1 1 hour ago
- Video: jhameia: takingbackourculture: femininewritings: This is a heartrending video of a young Filipina... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tHNIQQ 1 hour ago
- Photoset: micdotcom: Miley Cyrus used the term “mammy”@at the VMAs — and many are not happy The 2015 MTV... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tHN00S 1 hour ago