Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- The Justice Department also says Ferguson police tolerated sexual harassment of female officers – The Washington Post
- S. African Government Will Investigate Allegations… – Matthew Aid
- Seeing the Stasi Through NSA Eyes | Consortiumnews
- New Zealand Spies on Neighbors in Secret ‘Five Eyes’ Global Surveillance – The Intercept
- Support Mexico’s People – Not Its Authoritarian And Violent Government
- Support Mexico’s People – Not Its Authoritarian And Violent Government | dorset chiapas solidarity ow.ly/2VxUa3 4 hours ago
- The Angry Arab News Service/وكالة أنباء العربي الغاضب: Nicholas Kristof saves the World ow.ly/2VxUa2 4 hours ago
- "The commonwealth will give $25,000 each “to individuals who were involuntarily sterilized pursuant to..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6iHE3 5 hours ago
- "Furthermore, before taking poverty into consideration, the peak age for homicide deaths is 19 years..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6i33G 5 hours ago
- "A hot pink letter apparently mailed by pro-choice activists was delivered to the office of Rep. Jeff..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6hlJR 5 hours ago