Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- A Just Cause - Fighting Domestic Violence in America - A Just Cause - Fighting Domestic Violence in America ow.ly/6toY50eF9kz 22 minutes ago
- British film-maker killed by Isis militants in Syria | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/mx4650eF8XO 22 minutes ago
- PRESS RELEASE - Indigenous Women’s Delegation Pursues Fossil Fuel Divestment Across Europe, Amidst Growing Glob... ow.ly/dKap50eF8XP 22 minutes ago
- Human Rights Solidarity accuses UAE of war crimes in Libya - Libyan Express ow.ly/fJzE50eF8XN 22 minutes ago
- Support demands of #PrisonersUnited on hunger strike in Alameda and Santa Clara Counties | @Moorbey'z Blog ow.ly/6Upi30fWHKY 1 hour ago
- US-backed fighters ‘seize 80% of Raqqa from Islamic State’
- #USA / #Privacy / #Journalism / #eMail
- Fall of ISIS capital: The caliphate is gone, but the franchise will live on
- South Korea ‘develops graphite bomb’ against North
- About 14.6 pct of U.S. Gulf oil output shut ahead of Storm Nate-BSEE
- #Denmark / #Sweden/ #Copenhagen / #Journalist
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.