Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- The Pentagon Just Released 200 Long-Awaited Photos Related to Detainee Abuse | VICE News
- Indicted Producers of Planned Parenthood Videos Accused of Using Fake Licenses
- DEA sees Hezbollah link to Colombian cartel | World War 4 Report
- New U.S. intelligence report says Islamic State weaker | Reuters
- Body pulled from Lake Ontario ID’d as Toronto police officer – Toronto – CBC News
- micdotcom: Watch: This haunting drone footage of a Sryian city... ow.ly/3b0f7v 3 hours ago
- APNSPR: Why are some on the Left & Far-Left shedding tears over Lavoy Finicum, the Hammonds & the #BundyMilitia?? is.gd/X1tDjl 5 hours ago
- The Martyrdom of Leonard Peltier | Outside Online - The Martyrdom of Leonard Peltier | Outside Online - On the ... ow.ly/3b09z8 5 hours ago
- "“That kind of news is very welcome. I look forward to discussing that with the Saudi defense..." ow.ly/3b09nq 5 hours ago
- The Martyrdom of #LeonardPeltier | Outside Online | [Modern Times] ow.ly/Y0VPZ 5 hours ago