Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Exposed: The Faces and Fake Names of the People Behind #PlannedParenthood Attack Videos | Democracy Now! ow.ly/Qvg3v 23 minutes ago
- Are Journalists & Activists Safe Anywhere in Mexico? Protests Erupt over Killing of 5 in Mexico City | Democracy N... ow.ly/32e8Xv 34 minutes ago
- GRAIN — Agro-colonialism in the Congo: European and US development finance bankrolls a new round of agro-coloniali... ow.ly/32e4JC 1 hour ago
- LAPD Officers Removed Antennas from Police Cars in Black Areas to Disable Recording Devices - Atlanta Blackstar ow.ly/32e4JB 1 hour ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #Genocide and #HumanRights In #OccupiedGaza w/ #AntiZionist activist @Thalwen ow.ly/Qv7Vf 2 hours ago