Three elderly Kenyans who are suing the government for damages were told it did not dispute that “terrible things” had happened to them. Their lawyers say it is the first ever official acknowledgement by the UK. The revolt against British rule in Kenya in the 1950s and 1960s was marked by atrocities, with thousands killed. The British government argues that too much time has passed for a fair hearing to be conducted. Before starting cross-examination of witnesses, the QC for the British government, Guy Mansfield, said he did not want to dispute that civilians had suffered “torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the colonial administration”. He spoke directly to each of the witnesses, saying he did “not want to dispute the fact that terrible things happened to you”. Papers in the test case were first served on the UK in 2009. In 2011, a High Court judge ruled the claimants – Paulo Muoka Nzili, Wambuga Wa Nyingi and Jane Muthoni Mara – did have an arguable case. The claimants lawyers allege that Mr Nzili was castrated, Mr Nyingi was severely beaten and Mrs Mara was subjected to appalling sexual abuse in detention camps during the rebellion.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Anti-Muslim Protests Scheduled Nationwide: ‘Global Rally For Humanity’ Calls On Demonstrations In Front Of Mosques Across US Cities
- "Explaining the blackout on their site, they wrote: “Our culture rewards folks for RTs and posting..." ow.ly/3589rG 2 hours ago
- [Modern Times] | 4th World Issues, International Politics & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/T5zZi 3 hours ago
- "Explaining the blackout on their site, they wrote: “Our culture rewards folks for RTs and posting the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1vgEgcq 3 hours ago
- Disturbing Viral Video Seemingly Shows LA Officer Being Stalked Rattles Law Enforcement ow.ly/3580ju 3 hours ago
- VIDEO: Venezuelan President Nicol�s Maduro in Harlem: "Put People Before Profits & Capital" | Democracy Now! ow.ly/357Znm 3 hours ago