In the United Kingdom, the latest figures on communications surveillance were published last week. They showed that in 2011, 494,078 requests for communications data were made by authorities. Communications data include IP addresses, the date and time a communication was sent, and location information—but not the actual content of a call, text, or email. Still high at about 1,300 per day and almost one per minute, the 494,078 requests in fact represented a decline of 11 percent from the previous year. In direct contrast, perhaps due to the security effort around the upcoming London Olympics, the United Kingdom witnessed a steep rise in warrants authorizing the interception of communications content. 2,911 interception requests were granted—a 73 percent increase on 2010’s reported 1,682.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- APNS Public Radyo: Mainstream #Journalism & #BlackLivesMatter: A Conversation with @drewwest_press is.gd/Tuwasj 58 minutes ago
- SWAT Assault on Home Ruled Unreasonable By JACK BOUBOUSHIAN - Courthouse News Service: "That the threats might hav... ow.ly/32dpyh 1 hour ago
- New federal report quotes suicide as leading cause of death in U.S. jails - Xinhua | English.news.cn ow.ly/32dpyf 1 hour ago
- Love and Revolution! - Love and Revolution!: In the United States, there has evolved three systems or modes of pro... ow.ly/32dpyg 1 hour ago
- "Two doors down from Milan’s home, police had recently spotted a man named Derrick Murray, who..." ow.ly/32doN5 1 hour ago