In the United Kingdom, the latest figures on communications surveillance were published last week. They showed that in 2011, 494,078 requests for communications data were made by authorities. Communications data include IP addresses, the date and time a communication was sent, and location information—but not the actual content of a call, text, or email. Still high at about 1,300 per day and almost one per minute, the 494,078 requests in fact represented a decline of 11 percent from the previous year. In direct contrast, perhaps due to the security effort around the upcoming London Olympics, the United Kingdom witnessed a steep rise in warrants authorizing the interception of communications content. 2,911 interception requests were granted—a 73 percent increase on 2010’s reported 1,682.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Pennsylvania Seeks Mumia Abu-Jamal’s Execution via Medical Neglect
- Gawker: Report: Man Ejected From Somali Plane in Midair Was Suicide Bomber
- The Pentagon Just Released 200 Long-Awaited Photos Related to Detainee Abuse | VICE News
- Indicted Producers of Planned Parenthood Videos Accused of Using Fake Licenses
- DEA sees Hezbollah link to Colombian cartel | World War 4 Report
- Photo ow.ly/3b3yFz 13 hours ago
- (via Bill Clinton admits he’s destroyed millions of black... ow.ly/3b3uw7 14 hours ago
- FAQ : #Mumia Abu Jamal ow.ly/Y3z89 15 hours ago
- dafuqdidijustread: Pastor’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Rally Attended... ow.ly/3b34HX 19 hours ago
- #Texas Acknowledges Rangers Killed Hundreds of #Latinos During Early 20th Century ow.ly/3aZzUX 20 hours ago