In the United Kingdom, the latest figures on communications surveillance were published last week. They showed that in 2011, 494,078 requests for communications data were made by authorities. Communications data include IP addresses, the date and time a communication was sent, and location information—but not the actual content of a call, text, or email. Still high at about 1,300 per day and almost one per minute, the 494,078 requests in fact represented a decline of 11 percent from the previous year. In direct contrast, perhaps due to the security effort around the upcoming London Olympics, the United Kingdom witnessed a steep rise in warrants authorizing the interception of communications content. 2,911 interception requests were granted—a 73 percent increase on 2010’s reported 1,682.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Update on Mumia’z Health 4/22
- Italy investigators say Vatican link in ‘al-Qaeda’ arrests – BBC News
- Arizona Sheriff Describes Investigation Into Judge’s Wife
- Chicago Is About to Offer the Nation’s First Reparations Program for Victims of Police Violence | The Nation
- Timeline Photos – Shut Down Australia | Facebook
- "So what happened is a historical fact, and it shouldn’t be difficult to get presidents and prime..." ow.ly/2XRrW0 3 hours ago
- Obesity-worldwide-infographic.jpg (960×2250) ow.ly/M75bn 3 hours ago
- SEMANTIC GENOCIDE: Three #Native Sons Discuss 'Operation #Geronimo' ow.ly/M73CV #ebooks #NDN @vgbnd @IAmNotAMascot 4 hours ago
- "So what happened is a historical fact, and it shouldn’t be difficult to get presidents and prime..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1jIWg3v 4 hours ago
- "Mahmud, a well-known activist who also ran a small tech company, hosted poetry readings, computer..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1jIWX5I 4 hours ago